Re: Time to take a leadership position on client-side APIs

Hi Dave,

I would distinguish between two kinds of client APIs:

a) Client APIs for the delivery context
b) Client APIs for controlling all the elements of the device (phone
calls, camera, players, etc)

a) is theoretically covered by the DCCI but I think we need to make the
delivery context APIs universal and not distinguish between the Client
and the Server APIs. That's the position I outlined in my Delivery
Context Universal Interfaces manifesto [1]. Also I think that Javascript
developers are seeking for simpler interfaces than the DCCI ... and also
implementors :), I think. The initial work on the advanced API maed in
the DDWG can serve as a seed for this universal interfaces for the DC

b) is indeed a hot topic these days and for the future. I think it
involves several standards organizations and alliances, potentially
(Open AJax Alliance, W3C, OMA, 3GPP, OMTP ...). I've seen many people
talking about the standardization of this kind of APIs but not real work
has started yet. So I think we need to start with something, perhaps a
workshop to raise the needed level of awareness and attract more people
to the UWA group

Best Regards

[1]
http://uwa.morfeo-project.org/archives/delivery-context-universal-interfaces