Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 11:05:50 -0500
From: Deborah Dahl <dahl@conversational-technologies.com>
To: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Subject: question about including DCCI information in MMI events

Hi Dave,

Multimodal interaction managers need to know the properties of the
devices they are communicating with. In a typical scenario, at the
beginning of a session a device might tell the interaction manager
its screen size, audio output properties, battery level and other
properties that would be relevant to the application. The MMIWG has
defined a set of life cycle events for communicating between
interaction managers and modality components in the MMI Architecture
specification [1]. We are talking about including device information
in relevant life cycle events, but we were wondering if the UWA WG
has some advice about how it might be represented. One option might
be to include an XML tree based on the Delivery Context Ontology
[2], maybe augmented with some user preference information. If there
was some kind of a device registry where device information is
stored, there could also be a pointer to that.

regards,

Debbie Dahl

[1] MMI Architecture: http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-mmi-arch-20061211/
[2] Delivery Context Ontology: http://www.w3.org/TR/dcontology/