Re: Public-Key authentication for websites

Christoph Hack wrote:
> Oh, you are right. Looks like SSL/TLS is exactly what I want, I just
> haven't known that you can create and use this certificates on the
> client side too. I never saw that before, but I will take a deeper look
> on it.
>
> The only problem is that you must pay quite a lot for a trusted
> certificate and that you aren't able to use existing Web-of-Trusts (if
> you are using cacert). (Beside of that fact, that SSL/TLS doesn't
> work on virtual hosts). And that nearly nobody owns a private
> certificate (in comparison to GPG keys, which are well known in Linux
> communities *g*).

I'm glad this is helpful to you, and I would encourage you to take a
closer look, but I wanted to catch a couple things up front.

First off - vis a vis pricing on SSL certs, if you are looking to
experiment, there are several CAs that will cut server SSL certs for
<$20, and a couple that do them for free, so I hope you won't find the
expense too prohibitive.

But also, for client certs, there needn't be any cost at all, at least
not for a particular site.  A client cert's job is to prove *to the
server* that you are who you claim to be.  With that in mind then, a
server can generate and sign its own client certificates as needed; as
long as the certificate presented by a client is one the server has
properly signed, the server can trust it.  Because this case is
Many-to-1, there isn't a real need for the CA, who acts as a trusted
third party in many-to-many transactions.

On the other hand, if you want a client certificate which is accepted
and recognized by multiple unrelated servers, which identifies you as
you in some verified way, then yes, I imagine there will be a cost
involved in that verification.  Some of this work already exists for
individuals acquiring things like code-signing certificates, but you
might also look at the various (ahem) "Identity 2.0" companies out there
who are trying to build a marketplace around this concept.

Cheers, and happy hunting,

Johnathan