Re[2]: Draft W3C TAG Finding "Passwords in the Clear" available for review

Hi James,

I actually fired of my reply too fast; I "missed" that Phillip was
alluding to IdP's (I incorrectly assumed he was suggesting that it's
"OK" to give passwords to more than 1 site).

JAD> I have been giving some thought to the problem of making SRP
JAD> usable to your mother in law...

Is this hard?  Would this not solve it?:-

HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required
WWW-Authenticate: RFC2945 realm="Authorized access only."

It would seem that convincing Microsoft, Apache, Firefox, Opera,
Safari, ... is the hard part.  The easy bit is more or less "done"?

So anyhow - the usual problem remains - we have elegant solutions to
the problem, but the vendors are unlikely to come to the party (ZKP's
decades old, and SRP's 9 already) - so we're stuck with the next best
thing: always use SSL, and maintain an active prejudice against places
that don't accept OpenID.

... and I'm not even going to *start* on the politics and lack of a
.com DNSSEC root key :-)

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake