Re: AW: Magic Bullet (proposal for in-browser secure 2-way authentication resistent to online and offline attacks)

Hi Jörg,

There's actually 2 way to lower the risk of both MiTM and Trojan
attacks - either prevent the attacks, or, design a system such that a
successful attack has no "sting" (eg: after the attack has been a
"success", the information gathered from it is useless - such as, for
example, using single-use-only disposable passwords)

Disabling browser plugins during SSL won't block Trojans (or if it
does, Trojans will evolve to not be browser plugins).  Avoiding
Trojans can be as simple as using tokens or a printed list of
single-use passwords, or as complex as in-browser graphic-based
authentication using anti-eavesdropping technology (or ideally - a
combination of both).

I disagree with your insecure cookie statement: can you explain *why*
cookie-based solutions are "not secure enough" ?  A cookie and a
client-side cert both live in files on a users hard drive: one is
optionally protected by a password on the file, the other is
optionally protected by a password on the computer.  One can be sent
to any web site on request, the other can be sent only to a specific
subset of SSL verified domains (assuming secure cookies are used
instead of just any old cookie).  Both are issued from some original
web site under that sites issuing policy.

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake