RE: DNSSEC indicator

Some things I find from a search engine, but others I type in - like my
bank, my company website, my drug website, even tvguide.com

  _____

From: public-usable-authentication-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-usable-authentication-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Mary Ellen
Zurko
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:13 AM
To: beltzner@mozilla.com
Cc: public-usable-authentication@w3.org
Subject: Re: DNSSEC indicator

Must be a lot of people who watch TV commercials and go to movies in the US
type in URLs. I see every movie commericial ending in one.

          Mez

Mary Ellen Zurko, STSM, IBM Lotus CTO Office       (t/l 333-6389)
Lotus/WPLC Security Strategy and Patent Innovation Architect

"Mike Beltzner" <beltzner@mozilla.com>
Sent by: public-usable-authentication-request@w3.org

04/26/2007 08:44 AM

Please respond to
beltzner@mozilla.com

sthomas2@ups.com, public-usable-authentication-request@w3.org,
public-usable-authentication@w3.org

cc

Subject

Re: DNSSEC indicator

Like page encoding, the presence/absense of DNSSEC will be interesting to a
select few users, and should be relegated accordingly to secondary,
diagnostic UI. The client should - when DNSSEC actually exists in the wild -
be modified such that its presence or absence can be used to provide the
client (not the poor user, who doesn't care about the topsy-turvy world of
TCP/IP) with an additional criteria on which to base its security policy in
terms of how to treat the source content. This is purely an implementation
detail at the connection later plugging what Dick correctly termed a "leaky
hole".

Oh, and in answer to the question of "who still types in URLs these days?",
it turns out that quite a lot of people do. By some metrics, as many as 30%
of starting a task pageloads.

cheers,
mike