Re: Tying "form-filler support" to HTTP authentication

I think this should be as lightweight as at all possible -- if
one could get there with just a few class and id parameters and
maybe a bit of material in the <head/> part of an HTML page,
without even touching the DTD, that might in fact be best; the
upgrade path for older browsers would be to simply submit the
credentials (if entered by the user) by HTTP POST.

At the same time, this approach might be easier to extend and
change than an approach that adds new tags.

From what you suggest, I think there are two main situations
that we'd need to think about:

- Mechanisms like HTTP Digest Authentication that keep the user
  name / password paradigm, where the same form can be used for
  falling back to HTTP POST (and cookies), and for entry of
  credentials for the protocol-level mechanism.

- Mechanisms like Infocard, where the HTML form might be a
  fallback, but we basically want it to say "please ignore me
  if you know how to do X."

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C   <tlr@w3.org>