Re: Secure Chrome

I'd like to pick up an earlier contribution by Phill: Right
now, we often don't even give useful tools to the *suspicious*
user.  That's the first thing to change.

I'd see work in this direction chartered, roughly, as resulting
in "here's a minimum set of context elements that you should
make accessible to the user", "here are some good ideas on how
to do it", and "by the way, please don't do x in scripting,
because else it's all fakeable too easily".

In other words, I'd suggest that we charter a group to be very
explicit about (a) what sites can expect to be displayed to
users, and (b) what *not* to do as a browser (this would
hopefully give browser makers a good excuse to "break" some of
the more dangerous features, such as frame-less pop-ups, hiding
status bars, etc).

That said, it's not clear to me that we should expect this
particular direction of work to solve problems like the <div/>
element that shows a screen-shot with the right stuff in it.

To make shared secret based approaches work, you'll need to
have the crypto in place on the protocol level so the secret
isn't displayed to any attacker; this strikes me as something
that would happen on a different time scale.

--
Thomas Roessler, W3C   <tlr@w3.org>