Re: Secure Metadata

I agree that the signalling "we've been here before" (where the
notion of "here" can quite possibly be detached from a domain
name, and refer to the organization, as Petname shows) is
something that browsers can do based on today's infrastructure.

I would be curious to see some testing how petnames compare to
logos in terms of usability and recognition -- do people
recognize the names they gave better or worse than logos? How
do the warn signals mix with visually strong branding and
possibly compelling phishing stories?

Also, in the petname setting, linking an online experience with
offline brands continues to be a matter of looking at web site
content, and ultimately taking things at face value.  The
padlock may have been intended as a poor man's online version
of the credit card logos that an offline shop displays, but it
doesn't serve that purpose.

Secure metadata could help to display that information at a
browser level: It may quite possibly turn out that there is a
useful mix of well-known branding displayed properly -- note
that there is a gatekeeper in this scenario --, and metadata
that abstract away a bit from the site's identity and talk
about the properties of that site that the user may need more
urgently than its identity -- "this is a bank", "verified by
lordcard", "certified lunch club merchant", etc

Besides the question of whether there is enough interest in
this general direction, we have to look at the scope question.

Would people here be satisfied with a lightweight effort that
(as suggested by Michael) initially just looks at the question
that George asked: The logotype extensions of which
certificates can sites epxect browsers to display?

Or should formal work in this area immediately go towards more
heavyweight trust labels, and the formats related to these?

--
Thomas Roessler, W3C   <tlr@w3.org>