	Von: public-usable-authentication-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-usable-authentication-request@w3.org] Im Auftrag von John
Best
	Gesendet: Montag, 10. April 2006 21:42
	An: public-usable-authentication@w3.org
	Betreff: Authentication Idea

	Hello all, I didn't attend the conference, but I would like to put
forward an idea for authentication.

	I will try to be as brief as possible, if any of you would like to
know more about this idea, I would be happy to give more details.

	The key concept is to use the users mobile phone as a second factor
in authentication.

	The mobile phone requires a camera and software to interpret a
barcode.
	(possibly a 2 dimensional, multi-shade barcode)

	Example process
	-------------------------------

	Preparation

	- Whilst on a trusted machine, user requests an authentication key
	- Server sends the user a package, containing
	   The url of the service
	   The name of the service
	   The decryption key
	   (all wrapped up in a barcode image)
	- User photographs the screen, and the mobile unwraps the package,
and generates an entry for this site.

	Usage

	- The user requests to authenticate using Image Authentiation
	- The server sends the user a package, containing
	   The URL of the service
	   An encrypted message containing
	   The name of the service
	   A short message

	- The user photographs the screen, and the mobile decrypts the
package
	 (checking that the name of the service matches the URL)

	- The user enters the short message (and possibly a part of their
password)
	- If the message is correct, the user is considered to be
authenticated

	Benefits.
	Authenticates both parties
	Limits the damage a Keylogger would do (hence can be used from an
untrusted computer)
	Has no cost if the user has a camera phone.
	(so sites can deploy it with no capital outlay)

	Problems.
	Requires a seperate device (but only one device for all services)

	Thank you very much for reading this far.

	John Best