Re: URI scheme approval process

The questions I posted last week regarding uri scheme approval were not
academic; perhaps they seemed so for lack of specificity but I wanted to
keep this thread focused and try to avoid rekindling a debate over the
particular uri scheme of interest, which happens to be the proposed 'info'
scheme. I'm still confused so I'll pose the question differently.

My problem is this: an important project I'm involved with relies heavily on
the 'info' scheme. Most of the participants agree that it's a sound
technical approach but some are bothered by the notion that 'info' is not an
"approved" (or "official") scheme.   I seek to determine what
"approved/official uri scheme" means. I'm led to conclude that it's not very
well-defined.

If there is an "official" list of "approved" uri schemes, as I assume
http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes claims to be,  then there has to
be a published procedure describing how a scheme can be proposed and how it
may ultimately be approved and added to that list. (Can anyone possibly
disagree with this proposition?)   I also think there has to be an
authoritative list of proposed schemes, indicating status for each.  (Can
anyone disagree with that?)

For the "procedure", Dan suggests. rfc 2717.  (Thanks, Dan.)  The relevant
prose is:

"The IESG will review the proposed new scheme and either refer the
    scheme to a working group (existing or new) or directly present the
    scheme to the IESG for a last call.  In the former case, the working
    group is responsible for submitting a final version of the draft to
    the IESG for approval at such time as it has received adequate review
    and deliberation."

Given that there doesn't seem to be an up-to-date "proposed uri status
document"  (and I assume that http://www.uri.net/uri-scheme-status.html
doesn't claim to be up-to-date; in any case it doesn't include 'info')  can
someone please tell me where 'info' is in terms of this procedure? Has
'info' been referred to a working group or presented for last call?

I appreciate any insight anyone can provide on this.

--Ray