Re: First prototypes available

Hi Simon,

This is all great stuff however are you suggesting that the planet use a
server or rather a collection of servers to process imagery for responsive
design?

There are a few considerations in this approach that I think need to be
called out.

   - Bandwidth costs
   - Infrastructure costs - setting up a world wide CDN
   - SLA on response times
   - Legal ramifications - if something 'happens' that is undesirable.

IMHO what is needed here is an adoption of a responsive file format that
some of the rules you've called out on for handling the cropping scaling of
the raster; not a webservice.

Though this may be a good model for a "commercial" product to handle a
unique way to resolve some of the issues of responsive design. I don't feel
it belongs in the W3C.

There is no way to offer this as a "free" service since the infrastructure
costs would be quite something.

Just my two cents.

Paul