Fwd: Re: Followup on Text Customization in UAAG

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Followup on Text Customization in UAAG
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 20:43:20 -0600
From: Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org>
To: Jeanne Spellman <jeanne@w3.org>
CC: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org>

Hi Jeanne,

Thanks again for the heads-up for me to review.

It is a shorter and simpler. :-) Below are some issues and thoughts.
Feel free to forward these to a public list or let me know if I should
send them.

*Increments*
I'm afraid that below isn't specific enough and you need to say
something about specific values  &/or increments.

* Current text: "Line spacing, choosing from a range with at least three
values"
As it is written, a user agent that provided 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 would meet
this criteria; however, that doesn't meet the needs of most users who
need increased line spacing, as most need between 1.25 and 2.0.

* Current text: "1.8.5 Allow Zoom:  The user can rescale content within
top-level graphical viewports as follows: (Level A) Zoom in: to 500% or
more of the default size..."
As it is written, a user agent that provided just two options for zoom:
100% and 500%, would meet this criteria; however, that's not
sufficiently accessible because the vast majority of users who need zoom
will need it at a percent in between 100 & 500%.

* Current text: "Character spacing, choosing from a range with at least
5 values"
This may have the same issue as above, although maybe not because the
range of character spacing needed is far less, afaik.

*Inconsistencies*
I'm not sure if the inconsistencies below are on purpose or in error? :-)

* 1.4.1 Basic text formatting (Globally):… Text scale with…
    1.4.2 Basic text formatting (by Element): … Text size or scale

* 1.4.1 Basic text formatting (Globally):…
	Text color and background color, choosing from all platform color options
	Font family, choosing from all installed fonts [this says "installed" &
others say "platform"]
1.4.2 Basic text formatting (by Element):
	Text color and background color, choosing from all platform color options
	Font family, choosing from at least all platform fonts

*missing*

* "Text style (underline, italic, bold)"
Current text has it only provided by Element; it is missing from Globally.

* I had suggested more element-level customization at Level AAA that is
missing from the current text. Given that it at Level AAA, does it make
sense to leave it in there?

* Word spacing seems to be missing all together. Is that an error or
conscious decision?

*misc*

* Just an observation: There are a few aspects that are currently at a
higher level than I had suggested, including global line spacing,
justification, and margins. I assume y'all identified additional
rationale for them being at a higher level, which I am totally
comfortable with. :-)

* "Note: Any user settings from the platform for these characteristics
are implemented."
I cannot figure out what this means.

* "1.4.4 Configured and Reflowed Text Printing: The user can print the
rendered content, and the following are all true: (Level AA) @@"
Just noting the "@@" there. :-)

And some typos-type stuff I noticed:
* "The user can specifiy that multi-column text blocks be reflowed into
a single column (1.8.14, Level AA)"
specifiy -> specify
reflowed into a single column (1.8.14, Level AA)"
doesn't match below: "1.8.13 Multi-Column Text Reflow:" ... "1.8.14
Ignore Fixed Unit Dimensions:"

###

Best,
~Shawn