Re: WG draft charter and Phase 2 proposals

(I swear to god I subscribed to this list - still baffles me why I'm not getting mail. For now, please CC me.)

> On Nov 27, 2015, at 8:32 PM, Francois Daoust <fd@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> Handling of non-TV "channels" (such as HDMI inputs).
>> -----
>> This is currently in scope of the draft WG charter.
>> However, it does not map directly to the notion of tuner, channel and
>> program currently defined in the spec.
>> I wonder if it could not be addressed in a future revision of the spec and/or
>> perhaps even in a separate spec that the CG could define.
>>
>> Sangwhan, I think this feature was added based on your feedback, what is
>> your take on this?

As noted, it does not quite fit in the design of the spec as it stands. That said, the fact that it doesn't handle this puts the spec in a interesting position.

If it is intended for content, my humble opinion is that the [1] API gives out *way* too much power. (There is also the other issue about security and resource racing.)

If it is to implement a web OS of some sort (which seems to be more likely) it's most likely feature incomplete. It would be a hasty move to say "ship it out first and let's fix later, living standard style" - while updates did become easier, it's not something as casual as shipping a update to the app store.

Putting the political discussion aside, pragmatically speaking - retrofitting this into the current design as a special type of TVChannel would be the easiest way to integrate it into the spec, but it's not super pretty.

If the consensus thinks that's the way to go, I can send in a PR with the needed changes - since I've sent out the disclaimer. As noted, it won't be pretty and won't win any software design awards and probably would have easily got you a F for effort in a OOP class, but what works works.

If we do go down the "special channel" route, this does bring up the question "what about recording HDMI, should/does that even work", followed shortly by "what about HDCP", then followed by "what about sources that are HDCP unlocked, but then gets locked, then unlocked again or a negate of that sequence" - which is when one gets the strong desire to just drink beer and forget about everything. (I'm not formally raising these issues, just noting that they exist - DRM is not a topic of interest on my agenda.)

Sangwhan

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRv9wGf5pk&t=12