From: Sean Lin [mailto:selin@mozilla.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 5:38 AM
To: Paul Higgs
Cc: TV Control API Community Group
Subject: Re: tvapi-ACTION-26: Contact sean and add emergency alert requirements to the spec

Hi Paul,

I believe regional information is quite important and certainly a requirement in the US (there may be different storm warning/alert levels for neighboring counties/regions)

I believe attribute severityLevel can cover this. For alerts sent to different regions, they could be in different severity levels even when associated with the same event. The idea of this attribute was originated from [1], which also touches similar scenarios.

PH> I don’t think it can. severityLevel could be “test”, “information”, “watch”, “warning”, “threat”… while location would be a geographic area. Quite often in the US you will see a “Tornado warning” issued for a few neighboring counties and “Tornado watch” issued for those neighboring them.

SL> In this case I believe we may utilize "severity level" and the new attribute "type of emergency" we plan to add. "Type" may help identify the nature of the emergency like Tornado, Earthquake, etc; and "severity level" is used to distinguish the different threat levels across multiple regions.

Thoughts?!

Sean

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 8:36 PM, Paul Higgs <paul.higgs@ericsson.com<mailto:paul.higgs@ericsson.com>> wrote:
Hi Sean

I believe regional information is quite important and certainly a requirement in the US (there may be different storm warning/alert levels for neighboring counties/regions)

I believe attribute severityLevel can cover this. For alerts sent to different regions, they could be in different severity levels even when associated with the same event. The idea of this attribute was originated from [1], which also touches similar scenarios.

PH> I don’t think it can. severityLevel could be “test”, “information”, “watch”, “warning”, “threat”… while location would be a geographic area. Quite often in the US you will see a “Tornado warning” issued for a few neighboring counties and “Tornado watch” issued for those neighboring them.

Paul

I am not sure what to do with the Description if it is provided in an event with an application URL. Perhaps that behavior is implementation specific?

Yup, it could be. :)

I believe regional information is quite important and certainly a requirement in the US (there may be different storm warning/alert levels for neighboring counties/regions)

I believe attribute severityLevel can cover this. For alerts sent to different regions, they could be in different severity levels even when associated with the same event. The idea of this attribute was originated from [1], which also touches similar scenarios.

Thanks,
Sean

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/websignage/wiki/Web-based_Signage_Player_Emergency_Profile#Classification_of_severity_level_for_presentation