Re: text-wrap balance

On Tue., 18 Jun. 2019, 6:11 am David Singer, <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> >> FWIW, though there are helpful signs on the horizon, this feature seems
> >> possibly under-specified and almost certainly un-implemented, so we
> donąt
> >> have much choice but to take it out for nowŠ
> >
> > How fast are we moving towards those helpful signs?
>
> Not fast enough, or indeed, not at a known predictable speed

While I agree with this and also have no problem excluding this from REC,
is still like to encourage the CSS WG to continue with it. Glenn's listing
of existing deterministic algorithms in this space should be enough to give
us an expectation that it's feasible and technically possible. That the CSS
WG haven't resolved it may be because of to little requests for it rather
than anything else.

About whether a human will do it better and follow the BBC recommendations
more closely: I don't doubt it. But sometimes (particularly in times of
auto captions) there won't be a human in the mix and an algorithm is all we
get. We should prepare a better solution than the existing default line
breaks of HTML for this.

Cheers,
Silvia.