Re: text-wrap balance

Forwarding here with permission:

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: text-wrap balance
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 09:45:37 -0400
From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
To: Philippe Le Hégaret <plh@w3.org>, Fuqiao Xue <xfq@w3.org>

On 2019-06-13 16:55, Philippe Le Hégaret wrote:
 > Chris, Fuqiao,
 >
 > the Timed Text Group/WebVTT is wondering what to do with text-wrap:
 > balance. Do you know or can you find the story behind it? WebVTT
 > relies on that value but if no one implements it, there isn't much
 > point...

text-wrap: balance (and no-wrap) was proposed for CSS by Adobe. There
used to be a proposal on their site [1] but that has disappeared.

It is not in CSS Text 3 but was added to CSS Text 4 [2][3] and Adobe
also maintains a JQuery plugin [4] which implements it. There are no wpt
tests for the text-wrap property [5]

I have seen other implementations of line-balancing in JS. Other plugins
or polyfils will be easier once Houdini provides the ability to measure
the length of a line.

There are a couple of open issues: [6][7][8][9]. From [7], Apple seems
to be slightly against due to the iterative algorithm (number of passes
is unknown, and interaction with text fragmentation is unclear).

Current status seems to be a bunch of web developer interest, no
implementer interest. The spec might be improved by a couple of good,
visual examples. Needs evangelism to demonstrate need, I suspect.

[1] https://adobe-webplatform.github.io/balance-text/proposal/index.html
[2] https://www.w3.org/TR/css-text-4/#text-wrap Sept 2018
[3] https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-4/#text-wrap
[4] https://github.com/adobe/balance-text