Re: Future of WebVTT

Hi

Gary, the new editor, has an idea of how to show we have implementation and interop.  He’s aware of the need to do that before the re-charter happens. At TPAC I effectively stepped away; PLH asked me to stay as nominal co-chair until the re-charter but I can no longer give this even the minimal attention I was giving it.

I’m wishing Gary the best of luck, asking my colleagues to help him as much as they can (and other implementers)…

Silvia also can no longer give this the degree of attention she was giving it (she’s in a startup in a different field).

> On Nov 16, 2018, at 8:31 , Thierry MICHEL <tmichel@w3.org> wrote:
>
> David,  Sylvia,
>
> WebVTT was published as a Candidate Recommendation on 10 May 2018.
>
> https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/CR-webvtt1-20180510/
> In order to exit CR, the TTWG needs to demonstrate implementation experience according the the WebVTT exit criteria.
>
> Recently David sent an email saying that "there is no-one who is willing to do the work to document VTT interoperability and the CR exit criteria, and that we might still have trouble proving implementability of every feature." He also added "we should not prolong the fiction that we’ll emerge from CR into Rec status, but instead do what the process requires, publish the CR as a WG note, and also keep the CG alive to keep the living standard."
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2018Oct/0047.html
>
> Sylvia seems to say that there is a certain level of implementation of the WebVTT features and their interoperability based on the Web Platform Tests (WPT).
>
> Therefore we need to discus this and evaluate there is a path to move forward.
>
> The TTWG is considering rechartering its Charter by May 2019 for new deliverable.
>
> My management told me that if WebVTT could not exit CR by May 2019, it is unlikely it will make it into the next Charter.
>
> Therefore David and Sylvia, could you please join the next TTWG Thursday meeting,  to discuss this issue ?
>
> - How complete is the WebVTT test suite ?
> - What is the current level of WebVTT implementation?
> - Who will do the work to document WebVTT interoperability and the CR exit criteria
>
> Looking forward to talk to you during a next meeting,
>
> Thierry.

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.