AW: TTML2 wide review comment: styling

Hi David,

Thanks for your contribution in this important discussion.

I very much agree with comments made by Pierre and David (Ronca) in reply to your email.

I addition: I see the responsiveness of TTML 2 to requirements from the caption/translation subtitle service domain as very positive. It helps keeping existing subtitle quality standards in new distribution channels. This is also very constructive for the web ecosystems, as it establishes a reference for features not yet supported in CSS.

As Pierre mentioned great care has been taken in aligning TTML (2) with CSS. Because of the close XSL/CSS relationship, for most of the TTML features the mapping is quite straightforward. Where support of features is not available, it is legitimate to look for other solutions, also for two reasons:

1) TTML is not used only used in the web (browser) context.
2) HTML+CSS are very much driven by web browser requirements and by web browser manufacturers/developing communities.

Especially the second point leads to a much broader discussion about the scope of web standards like HTML+CSS. I am sure that the subtitle domain would be welcoming a better integration of their requirements in CSS. This maybe a process that needs some more time and parallel developments may only be a mid-term phenomenon of the conversion process. I am convinced that next TPAC could help to speed the process with productive discussions and group agreements.

Best regard,

Andreas