Re: Objections to TPAC resolutions on IMSC1.1

> On Nov 28, 2017, at 6:06 , Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Nigel,
>
>> Precedence rules are an unavoidable consequence of deprecation in favour
>> of a new better way to achieve a similar presentation outcome.
>
> Precedence rules are not necessary if the presence of both old and new
> features in a single document is prohibited.

I don’t know how else you would write a document that is expected to work on implementations of both the old and the new spec.  Perhaps this could be explored and spelled out?

As long as old implementations exist, people will want the dual syntax.  As long as old files exist, implementations will need to support the dual syntax. Deprecation is very slow in the file world, alas.

> [...]
>>
>> Precedence rules are an unavoidable consequence of deprecation in favour
>> of a new better way to achieve a similar presentation outcome. The
>> alternatives are: never change any feature or force change in features by
>> going directly to prohibition of old features when introducing new ones.
>> Both those alternatives are worse than specifying precedence rules.
>>

>>> hopefully TTWG can be more responsive and
>> welcoming to external requests in the future.
>>
>> This is an argument in favour of splitting out styling vocabulary in
>> particular into separate specification(s), so that additional styling
>> features can be introduced independently of the base specification
>> version, in an appropriate namespace, with minimal dependencies.
>>

>> Nigel
>>

>> On 28/11/2017, 06:15, "Pierre-Anthony Lemieux" <pal@sandflow.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Cyril,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the details. Below is my feedback.

>>> The Netflix proposal introduces not additional capabilities within the
>>> scope of IMSC 1.1.
>>>
>>> The Netflix proposal introduces a completely different syntax and
>>> document construction [1].
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/482#issuecomment-342324353
>>>
>>> It is unreasonable to replace a market-tested syntax
>>> (itts:forcedDisplay) that conveys clear authorial intent, with one
>>> that has not been deployed in practice and does not bring meaningful
>>> improvements within the scope of IMSC 1.1.

>>> IMSC 1.1 should allow only one version of each feature in a given
>>> document: precedence rules adds complexity to an already complex
>>> specification -- see [1]. Recall that some of these attributes are
>>> inheritable.

>>> Yes. It is unfortunate -- hopefully TTWG can be more responsive and
>>> welcoming to external requests in the future.
>>>
>>> The group can consider supporting both namespaces/names in TTML2, and
>>> deprecating the legacy ones.

>>> I see little technical risk with the current activeArea and
>>> displayAspectRatio text in TTML2, although additional time will be
>>> necessary for the group to convince itself that it is the case if the
>>> IMSC1 text is not used as-is -- the TTML2 editor stated that
>>> equivalence with IMSC1 was not a priority.

>>> The argument, as I understood it, is to minimize churn: IMSC 1.1 would
>>> adopt a syntax that is likely to be deprecated, when it has an
>>> existing syntax that meets functional needs.

>>> The risk is that other organizations ignore IMSC 1.1 and continue
>>> evolving their own profiles, jeopardizing the very objective of this
>>> group.

>>> SMPTE explicitly stated [2] that "in light of mandatory regulatory
>>> requirements, it is critical that
>>> future versions IMSC (and thus TTML2) be designed to minimize changes
>>> to existing IMSC1 processors."
>>>
>>> DVB explicitly requested itts:fillLineGap and itts:activeArea [3], so
>>> presumably it cares about their outcome.
>>>
>>> EBU originally defined ebutts:linePadding and ebutts:multiRowAlign, so

>>> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-tt/2017Oct/att-0000/SMPTE-to-W
>>> 3C-ttml2-20170929.pdf
>>> [3]
>>> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-tt/2017Apr/att-0004/liaison-re
>>> ply-to-W3C-about-IMSC101.pdf
>>>
>>> My point is that these organizations are presumably happy with the
>>> current state of things. Netflix argues that TTWG should ask them to
>>> change. Even if the reasons for the changes are good, but it behooves
>>> TTWG to minimize these changes and weigh the pros/cons carefully.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> -- Pierre

>> -----------------------------
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk
>> This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and
>> may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
>> If you have received it in
>> error, please delete it from your system.
>> Do not use, copy or disclose the
>> information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender
>> immediately.
>> Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails
>> sent or received.
>> Further communication will signify your consent to
>> this.

David Singer

singer@mac.com