Re: Objections to TPAC resolutions on IMSC1.1

Hi Nigel et al.,

I do not believe it is possible to fully capture the interactive and
in-person discussions that led to the consensus resolution adopted at
TPAC. Nevertheless, based on my notes, below is additional information
that was shared by at least one member (not necessarily me) during
these discussions:

- for any IMSC 1.0.1 extension adopted by TTML2, semantics and syntax
should be modified as little as possible to avoid additional testing,
training and unintended divergence

- given the objective of aligning TTML and CSS, TTML2 can delay
adoption of features in its namespace for which there is no CSS
equivalent but for which industry extensions exist, e.g.
ebutts:linePadding,

- organizations that have recently adopted IMSC1 might lose confidence
with the TTWG process if IMSC 1.1 deprecates all IMSC1 extensions and
replaces them with substantially different alternatives

- IMSC1 has been adopted and deployed for interchange between multiple
parties, whereas TTML2 has not

- working with EBU to integrate features such as ebutts:multiRowAlign
in TTML2 is an opportunity to coordinate with an important adopter of
TTML, and reduce the potential for divergence.

> Given that I cannot recall any formal objection to the synonym/alias
> proposal requested by Netflix,

There was no opportunity to raise formal objections during the TPAC
meeting since the resolution was adopted by consensus.

Best,

-- Pierre