Re: Two-stage process for ttml2.html

That would be java and ant itself apparently.

On 14 Nov 2017, at 11:23, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com<mailto:glenn@skynav.com>> wrote:

All the tools used by the ant validate and generate targets (and any they refer to, transitively) would be necessary on whatever platform runs these steps.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk<mailto:nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>> wrote:
We probably need two further things on the ttml1 and ttml2 process:

1. PR check that runs  `ant validate` to check the XML is valid both on the pre-merge PR branch and on the result of the merge with the publish (gh-pages) branch - if either fails validation, the PR should not be mergeable.
2. Post-merge step in the publish (gh-pages) branch that runs the relevant ant commands to regenerate the html and the schemas. I think it is probably just `ant` with no additional commands.

I'm not sure what the best way to execute these is for w3c - in other repos I would use a continuous integration/deployment service like travis.

@plh, what choices do we have here?

kind regards,

From: Pierre-Anthony Lemieux [pal@sandflow.com<mailto:pal@sandflow.com>]
Sent: 14 November 2017 06:16
To: Glenn Adams
Cc: David Ronca; Andreas Tai; David Singer; TTWG; Philippe Le Hegaret
Subject: Re: Two-stage process for ttml2.html

> However, this often requires a manual merge edit of ttml2.html when there has been an intervening regeneration of ttml2.html on gh-pages.

Can't the workflow can be:

- merge from gh-pages into the PR branch (to account for any
modifications made to ttml2.xml since the PR was branched)
- regenerate ttml2.html on the PR branch
- merge PR branch into gh-pages

Best,

-- Pierre

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:09 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com<mailto:glenn@skynav.com>> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 5:59 AM, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com<mailto:pal@sandflow.com>>
> wrote:
>>
>> > is the use of a two stage commit process, whereby we push primary
>> > changes to ttml2.xml
>> > and then use a separate process to build and push an updated ttml2.html.
>>
>> Why can't ttml2.html be generated on the PR branch?
>

> It can, and we have done it on occasion in the past. However, this often
> requires a manual merge edit of ttml2.html when there has been an
> intervening regeneration of ttml2.html on gh-pages. Alternatively, it
> requires ignoring changes in gh-pages and using only a new ttml2.html
> regenerated in the PR branch, which has the possible danger of losing merged
> data in ttml2.html.
>
> As a consequence, we have generally only pushed changes to ttml2.xml and
> then performed the ED regeneration process directly in the gh-pages branch.
> There are also some other related issues regarding the regeneration of
> schema archive files, so that we have regenerated these on the gh-pages
> branch as well rather than in a PR branch.
>

>> Best,
>>
>> -- Pierre
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 9:50 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com<mailto:glenn@skynav.com>> wrote:
>> > Just to be clear where I stand, I have no objection to this new policy
>> > for
>> > substantive issues; however, I do have problems with its application to
>> > editorial issues and other types of upkeep and maintenance pushes. One
>> > particular aspect of TTML{1,2} editorial process that doesn't hold for
>> > the
>> > other repositories is the use of a two stage commit process, whereby we
>> > push
>> > primary changes to ttml2.xml and then use a separate process to build
>> > and
>> > push an updated ttml2.html. In general, this has been done via multiple
>> > commits into gh-pages (and master before that). Indeed, an approximately
>> > 50%
>> > of the commits are to regenerate the html file. The proposed new process
>> > will require that every push go through a PR and review. For TTML repos,
>> > this means that we may see many PRs that do nothing other than
>> > regenerate
>> > the ED. IMO, this adds a considerable burden to the editing process that
>> > those who don't work with this process fail to appreciate.

-----------------------------
http://www.bbc.co.uk

If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the