Re: TTML2 backwards compatibility with TTML1

Thanks Mike,

I think we have discussed and agreed a goal to specify TTML2 so that a TTML2 processor would process TTML1 documents. For me also it would need a very strong argument to break this, however deprecating features or syntax is IMO reasonable if we have a better way to do things. I do not think there are any other examples than #331 – please do alert us if you find any.

Nigel

From: Michael Dolan <mike@dolan.tv<mailto:mike@dolan.tv>>
Date: Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 16:43
To: "public-tt@w3.org<mailto:public-tt@w3.org>" <public-tt@w3.org<mailto:public-tt@w3.org>>
Subject: RE: TTML2 backwards compatibility with TTML1

Apologies.  (I keep trying not to send email before my first coffee, but….FYI, I was separately emailing with another colleague about that one and crossed up the issues.)

I am mostly reacting to the recent discussion on this issue https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/331

I missed that it was deprecated in the first place, but why is restoring this even a debate?  I.e. see below about my understanding of a guiding principle. If we in fact all agree with that, then this issue should just be accepted and closed without further discussion.

                Mike