W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-tt@w3.org > May 2017

{agenda} TTWG Meeting 2017-05-11

From: Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 17:03:19 +0000
To: Timed Text Working Group <public-tt@w3.org>
Message-ID: <D537B4E2.3EEA5%nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
This meeting is scheduled for up to 120m. Please be ready for a prompt start at 10:03am Boston time.

Our teleconference is scheduled with reference to Boston Time, the correct time of this teleconference in your locale may change.

Check https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20170511T10&p1=43

Thursdays 10:03am-12:00pm Boston local

Joining details:

see https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-tt/2016Oct/0009.html
(members-only link  if you can't see this and wish to join please contact me)

Agenda+ Assign Roles

Chairs: Nigel Megitt

Scribe: usually Nigel  open to offers!

Regrets: Andreas, Thierry

Activity since last meeting:
See individual agenda items for recent activity on specific products

Cross-product TTWG board: http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/board/
We are still using tracker for actions unrelated to issues.
Please do not add or modify issues in tracker!

IMSC: https://github.com/w3c/imsc/pulse
TTML1: https://github.com/w3c/ttml1/pulse
TTML2: https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pulse
TTML Profile Registry: https://github.com/w3c/tt-profile-registry/pulse
TTML-WebVTT mapping: https://github.com/w3c/ttml-webvtt-mapping/pulse
WebVTT: https://github.com/w3c/webvtt/pulse

Agenda+ Prioritise discussion for this meeting and look ahead

Check-point for order of topics  I'd suggest, subject to reordering:
1. TPAC advanced planning
2. TTML issue assignment and progress tracking
3. TTML1 & TTML2 issues, actions, PRs, editorial actions etc
4. IMSC
5. HDR in PNG
6. Progress on HTMLCue proposal (placeholder)
7. WebVTT comments (placeholder)
8. AOB  please notify of any other AOB now!


Reminder re future milestones and meetings:

May Meetings:

Thursday 18th Mary: TTWG phone meeting 2 Hour(s)
Thursday 25th Mary: TTWG phone meeting 2 Hour(s)

Further ahead:

Thursday 1st June: TTWG phone meeting ? Hour(s)
Thursday 8th June: TTWG phone meeting ? Hour(s)
Thursday 15th June: TTWG phone meeting ? Hour(s)
Thursday 22th June: TTWG phone meeting ? Hour(s)
Thursday 29th June: TTWG phone meeting ? Hour(s)

IMSC 2 and TTML2 publication events: see the timeline of upcoming work at https://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText/Publications#Timeline_of_TTML2_and_IMSC2_work


Agenda+ TPAC 2017 Advanced planning

As Chair I have completed the WBS survey, requesting:

Attendance for ~10 people.
No preference for date, meet on any two days.
Flexible about days.
Joint meeting with CSS WG and with Web and TV IG.
Avoid overlap with Web and TV IG.
Permit observers.
Not member confidential.
Estimate ~6 attending technical plenary.
Estimate ~3 attending AC sessions Tuesday and Thursday.

https://www.w3.org/2017/11/TPAC/Overview.html

Agenda+ TTML issue assignment and progress tracking (20 minutes maximum)

We have a tough goal to resolve our open issues by the end of May. Please could you indicate for the coming week which issues you will be able to pick up and prepare pull request(s) for?

Additional sub-topic raised last week: process for assignment of issues to milestones.

Agenda+ TTML1 & TTML2 issues, actions, PRs, editorial actions etc

Horizontal Review:

CSS Review of TTML2, threads: FW: TTML2 horizontal review with CSS<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2016Dec/0013.html> and Fwd: Subtitle/caption styling + TTML + CSS<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2016Dec/0019.html>

Internationalisation review by r12a has generated several new issues on TTML2 and comments on existing issues (see below), this week mainly about alignment with relatively recent CSS developments.

CSS 2.2 request for reviews from TTWG et al: Pre-announcement of CR for CSS 2.2 & request for reviews<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2016Dec/0017.html> When can we schedule a review and gather feedback?

Actions:
ID      State   Title   Person  Due Date        Associated with
ACTION-443<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/443>[(edit)]<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/443/edit>     open    Prepare a document showing mapping arib ruby extension features to ttml2 for use as a liaison document to arib.<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/443>   Glenn Adams     2016-08-26      TTML2<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/products/4>
ACTION-462<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/462>[(edit)]<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/462/edit>     open    Create issue on ttml2 to add "mapping from other versions and profiles of ttml"<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/462>   Glenn Adams     2016-04-28      TTML2<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/products/4>

Most recent WD published at https://www.w3.org/TR/2017/WD-ttml2-20170106/

Merged TTML1 Pull Requests:
Clarify application of padding (#221)<https://github.com/w3c/ttml1/pull/233>
Merged TTML2 Pull Requests:
Issue 0203 add examples of ja features part 2<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/273>
Issue 0296 inline block<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/297>
Add note re: bopomofo<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/303>
Updated tts:writingMode example (issue #269)<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/305>
Open TTML1 Pull Requests: None
Open TTML2 Pull Requests:
Modified tts:direction example (#262)<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/306>
Adds xml:lang to metadata examples (issue #271)<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/301>
New TTML1 Issues: None
New TTML2 Issues:
Typos in rubyOverflow example<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/304>
Closed TTML1 Issues:
Do tts:origin and tts:extent apply to the padded rectangle or the content rectangle?<https://github.com/w3c/ttml1/issues/221>
Closed TTML2 Issues:
Add examples of new features commonly used with Japanese content (2 of 2)<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/203>
Replace automatic inline block generation with explicit tts:display='inlineBlock'.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/296>
Does tts:backgroundImage affect size of content area?<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/157>
Regarding initial value of tts:lineHeight<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/87>
tts:writingMode example is not helpful<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/269>
Discussed TTML1 Issues: None
Discussed TTML2 Issues:
Adds xml:lang to metadata examples (issue #271)<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/301>
It should be easier to specify direction for RTL script users <https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/263>
The uniqueness of xml:id needs to be broken for some uses of condition<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/128>
Styling using tts:direction: there should be an `auto` value<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/268>
Use a more typical example for tts:direction<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/262>
Should we allow more overhang for Chinese?<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/261>
Support for bopomofo ruby needed<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/253>
No mention of isolation for directional controls<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/265>
Embedded graphics don't fully meet requirement<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/141>
Add support for Audio Description requirements<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/195>
Reference versioning<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/293>

Focus topic(s) for this week

Open Pull Requests (50 minutes)

Can we reach consensus to merge the open pull requests or understand what changes are needed so that they can be merged?

Issues (remaining time)

Follow-up on previous discussion re Whitespace handling  can we agree what we want? See also Clarify whitespace handling when xml:space="default"<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/224> and Ambiguity regarding tab (U+0009) processing in significant whitespace.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml1/issues/235>

Inclusion of foreign namespace elements  is it only permitted on metadata elements, or anywhere? Do we need additional conformance language? See also IMSC issue foreign namespace usage is underspecified<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/213>

Consider applying ipd or bpd to content images<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/140>  can we agree what we want to happen here?

Are we able to agree the desired outcome for Interpreting the pixel measure<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/27> ?

A PR was merged early (direct commit) for How to specify aspect ratio to understand positioning that may apply for display or video<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/30> - does this do what we need? Last comment on the issue was Jan 6.

Given the recent discussions, are we in a position to propose a syntax and semantic to resolve Should background of a span be height of text in line or computed lineHeight?<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/101> in a way that can reasonably be contributed to CSS WG for their proposed equivalent?

AD Requirements

Given the discussion on Add support for Audio Description requirements<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/195> do we need to review the AD requirements document formally?

See also: AD Requirements wiki page.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/wiki/Audio-Description-Requirements>



Current open issues: https://github.com/w3c/ttml1/issues and https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues
See spreadsheet of editorial actions at https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/blob/master/spec/ednotes.xlsx
Edit/build instructions now in README in ttml2/spec/ at https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/blob/master/spec/README.md


Agenda+ IMSC (now incorporates Unicode ticket)

What are our next steps? We will need to Create tests for CR exit criteria<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/226>

IMSC 1.0.1 WD for Wide Review published at https://www.w3.org/TR/ttml-imsc1.0.1/
IMSC 1 Rec available at https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/REC-ttml-imsc1-20160421/
Patent policy call for exclusions sent 2017-02-03, archived at https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2017Feb/0006.html

Editor's draft is directly viewable at http://w3c.github.io/imsc/imsc1/spec/ttml-ww-profiles.html
IMSC Implementation Page: https://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText/IMSC1_implementation_page.

Unicode CLDR discussion
Unicode ticket is at http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/8915
Pierre's response to the recent update is at http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/8915#comment:9
Email response from Shervin at Unicode https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2016Dec/0018.html

Merged pull requests: none
Open pull requests: None
New or discussed issues:
Determination of the color in leading in tts:fillLineGap<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/228>
ittp:activeArea clarification<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/227>
Closed issues:
Draft the privacy and security review questionnaire answers<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/222>


Agenda+ HDR in PNG

ID      State   Title   Person  Due Date        Associated with
ACTION-495<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/495>[(edit)]<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/495/edit>     open    Update the ttwg homepage and publications pages for the new repos<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/495> Thierry Michel  2017-04-20

Repo for PQ HDR in PNG: https://github.com/w3c/png-hdr-pq
Draft WG Note: https://w3c.github.io/png-hdr-pq/

Merged pull requests: none
Open pull requests: None
New or discussed issues: None
Closed issues: None


Agenda+ HTMLCue proposal progress update.

ID      State   Title   Person  Due Date        Associated with
ACTION-441<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/441>[(edit)]<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/441/edit>     open    Kick off the analysis work on the vttcue carrying html idea.<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/441>      Andreas Tai     2015-11-05


See https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2016Apr/0012.html for further information on this, this week.

Also HTML import and HTMLCue?<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2016Sep/0003.html> email from 2016-09-06.

[placeholder agenda item]

Agenda+ WebVTT review feedback

ID      State   Title   Person  Due Date        Associated with
ACTION-396<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/396>[(edit)]<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/396/edit>     open    Produce evidence of request for wide review for webvtt, for the archive<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/396>   David Singer    2015-04-17      WebVTT 1.0<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/products/8>

Discussion on WebVTT review feedback and next steps.

WebVTT Wide review wiki page: https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebVTT_Wide_Review

Open Pull requests:
Add requirements for region identifier to exist.<https://github.com/w3c/webvtt/pull/201>
Ruby issue264<https://github.com/w3c/webvtt/pull/347>
Merged Pull requests: None
New issues: None
Closed issues: None
Recently discussed issues:
"Attempt to consume an HTML character reference,"<https://github.com/w3c/webvtt/issues/291>
incomplete ruby implementation [I18N-ISSUE-431]<https://github.com/w3c/webvtt/issues/264>

Agenda+ AOB

References

Wiki http://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText
Received on Tuesday, 9 May 2017 17:03:51 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 5 October 2017 18:24:40 UTC