W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-tt@w3.org > June 2017

{agenda} TTWG Meeting 2017-06-08

From: Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 11:22:22 +0000
To: Timed Text Working Group <public-tt@w3.org>
Message-ID: <D55DA078.4182B%nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
This meeting is scheduled for up to 120m. Please be ready for a prompt start at 10:03am Boston time.

Our teleconference is scheduled with reference to Boston Time, the correct time of this teleconference in your locale may change.

Check https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20170608T10&p1=43

Thursdays 10:03am-12:00pm Boston local

Joining details:

see https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-tt/2016Oct/0009.html
(members-only link – if you can't see this and wish to join please contact me)

Agenda+ Assign Roles

Chairs: Nigel Megitt

Scribe: usually Nigel – open to offers!

Regrets: Glenn

Activity since last meeting:
See individual agenda items for recent activity on specific products

Cross-product TTWG board: http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/board/
We are still using tracker for actions unrelated to issues.
Please do not add or modify issues in tracker!

IMSC: https://github.com/w3c/imsc/pulse
TTML1: https://github.com/w3c/ttml1/pulse
TTML2: https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pulse
TTML Profile Registry: https://github.com/w3c/tt-profile-registry/pulse
TTML-WebVTT mapping: https://github.com/w3c/ttml-webvtt-mapping/pulse
WebVTT: https://github.com/w3c/webvtt/pulse

Agenda+ Prioritise discussion for this meeting and look ahead

Check-point for order of topics – I'd suggest, subject to reordering:
1. TPAC advanced planning
2. TTML issue assignment and progress tracking
3. TTML1 & TTML2 issues, actions, PRs, editorial actions etc
4. IMSC
5. HDR in PNG
6. Progress on HTMLCue proposal (placeholder)
7. WebVTT comments (placeholder)
8. AOB – please notify of any other AOB now!


Reminder re future milestones and meetings:

June Meetings:

Thursday 15th June: TTWG phone meeting 2 Hour(s)
Thursday 22th June: TTWG phone meeting 2 Hour(s)
Thursday 29th June: TTWG phone meeting 2 Hour(s)

Further ahead:

Thursday 6th July: TTWG phone meeting ? Hour(s)
Thursday 13th July: TTWG phone meeting ? Hour(s)
Thursday 20th July: TTWG phone meeting ? Hour(s)
Thursday 27th July: TTWG phone meeting ? Hour(s)

IMSC 2 and TTML2 publication events: see the timeline of upcoming work at https://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText/Publications#Timeline_of_TTML2_and_IMSC2_work


Agenda+ TPAC 2017 Advanced planning

As Chair I have completed the WBS survey, requesting:

Attendance for ~10 people.
No preference for date, meet on any two days.
Flexible about days.
Joint meeting with CSS WG and with Web and TV IG.
Avoid overlap with Web and TV IG.
Permit observers.
Not member confidential.
Estimate ~6 attending technical plenary.
Estimate ~3 attending AC sessions Tuesday and Thursday.

https://www.w3.org/2017/11/TPAC/Overview.html

Chair was asked for further clarification about the joint meetings and the overlap avoidance; since Web and TV IG are likely to meet on the Monday, and CSSWG on the Monday and Tuesday, I requested Thursday and Friday for the main TTWG meetings with joint agenda slots with the other two groups on Monday and/or Tuesday.

Agenda+ TTML issue assignment and progress tracking (20 minutes maximum)

We have a tough goal to complete a draft for review prior to publication by the middle of June. Please could you indicate for the coming week which issues you will be able to pick up and prepare pull request(s) for?

At the moment of writing this agenda, there are:

  *   4 open issues on the Editor's WR Work List milestone, of which 1 is not labelled as "PR Open";
  *   54 open issues with no milestone, many of which were opened this week to address editorial notes and
  *   7 open issues awaiting some feedback on disposition, which are in the "Group's WR action required list" milestone.

To achieve our goal of WR publication by end of June we need a proposal to publish based on a draft WR version of the ED for a 2 week group review by 15th June at the latest. Aside from resolving group review issues generated during that period, (i.e. those required to achieve consensus on the proposal to publish) no further changes will be accepted after 15th June. However I would encourage everyone to begin reviewing now and file any issues that would block publication if not resolved. This also includes reviewing open pull requests and adding comments.

Agenda+ TTML1 & TTML2 issues, actions, PRs, editorial actions etc

Horizontal Review:

CSS Review of TTML2, threads: FW: TTML2 horizontal review with CSS<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2016Dec/0013.html> and Fwd: Subtitle/caption styling + TTML + CSS<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2016Dec/0019.html>

Internationalisation review by r12a has generated several new issues on TTML2 and comments on existing issues (see below), this week mainly about alignment with relatively recent CSS developments.

CSS 2.2 request for reviews from TTWG et al: Pre-announcement of CR for CSS 2.2 & request for reviews<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2016Dec/0017.html> When can we schedule a review and gather feedback?

Actions:
ID      State   Title   Person  Due Date        Associated with
ACTION-443<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/443>[(edit)]<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/443/edit>     open    Prepare a document showing mapping arib ruby extension features to ttml2 for use as a liaison document to arib.<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/443>   Glenn Adams     2016-08-26      TTML2<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/products/4>
ACTION-462<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/462>[(edit)]<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/462/edit>     open    Create issue on ttml2 to add "mapping from other versions and profiles of ttml"<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/462>   Glenn Adams     2016-04-28      TTML2<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/products/4>

Most recent WD published at https://www.w3.org/TR/2017/WD-ttml2-20170106/

Merged TTML1 Pull Requests: None
Merged TTML2 Pull Requests:
Improve descriptive prose and elaborate computed value semantics of t…<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/336>
Issue 0213 non applicable styles<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/340>
Issue 0237 line padding<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/344>
Issue 0215 extent auto<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/348>
Treat unnormalized tab as space for presentation (#302).<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/353>
Clarify resolution of percentages as writing mode relative (#302).<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/354>
Clarify nature of region overflow in terms of region's content, paddy…<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/355>
Issue 0168 implied region targets current region<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/350>
Add border examples<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/352>
Issue 0128 conditional styling<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/347>
Issue 0150 inline background height<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/346>
Remove (empty) appending on CT708 mapping, defering to WG note activi…<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/385>
Open TTML1 Pull Requests: None
Open TTML2 Pull Requests:
Issue 0195 audio descriptions<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/349>
Revert deprecation of profile parameter attribute (#331).<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/356>
Add justify keyword value to tts:textAlign (#375).<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/386>
New TTML1 Issues: None
New TTML2 Issues:
Deprecate rather than obsolete ttp:feature value="use".<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/357>
Incorporate resolutions of additional TTML1 Issues.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/358>
Add example fragments and images.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/359>
Update definition of [related media object region].<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/360>
Account for media type parameters.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/361>
Invoke abort if unsupported processor profile.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/362>
Invoke validation processing procedure.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/363>
Require support for DFXP transformation and presentation profiles.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/364>
Reference by designator to internally defined profile.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/365>
Account for profile fragment identifiers.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/366>
Add validation processing procedures.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/367>
Specify font loading semantics.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/368>
Specify block and inline progression dimension percentages.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/369>
Add justify to tts:displayAlign.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/370>
Define tts:fontSelectionStrategy.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/371>
Constrain certain descendant content in ruby container.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/372>
Add auto to tts:rubyOffset.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/373>
Add auto and outside values to tts:rubyPosition.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/374>
Add justify to tts:textAlign.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/375>
Revise as needed to synchronize with formal ISD syntax.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/376>
Time containment semantics for smpte time base.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/377>
Merge informative media timing material into Appendix I.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/378>
Add feature restriction and extension qualifications.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/379>
Update vocabulary derivation tables in Appendix N.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/380>
Time containment of out-of-line animations.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/382>
Improve animation value syntax.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/383>
Appendix R [June 4 ED] is overly constrained and does not represent current best practice<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/384>
Closed TTML1 Issues: None
Closed TTML2 Issues:
Two value percentage fontSize not fully defined<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/200>
Avoid populating non-applicable, non-inheritable styles in SSS(E).<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/213>
Incomplete support for IMSC1 line padding.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/237>
tts:extent="auto" vs tts:extent="100% 100%"<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/215>
Incorporate resolutions of TTML1 issues.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/302>
Make inline region semantics set values on current region<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/168>
Add support for adjacent background area merging<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/189>
Support for conditional styling.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/128>
Ways to make span background height be lineHeight<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/150>
Add CT708 mapping information.<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/381>
Discussed TTML1 Issues:
tts:overflow does not apply to the region area<https://github.com/w3c/ttml1/issues/239>
Discussed TTML2 Issues:
Appendix R [June 4 ED] is overly constrained and does not represent current best practice<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/384>
Issue 0195 audio descriptions<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/pull/349>

Focus topic(s) for this week

Open Pull Requests (50 minutes)

Can we reach consensus to merge the open pull requests or understand what changes are needed so that they can be merged?

Issues (remaining time)

(Please advise if you would like to raise any other issues for the group's consideration this week)

The uniqueness of xml:id needs to be broken for some uses of condition<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/128> – specifically how we want to handle variant regions – is it enough simply to allow conditional <set> on region elements to specify the extent and origin in response to e.g. media queries, or do we need to be able to conditionally select regions e.g. by making the region attribute IDREFS rather than IDREF?

Approach to Appendix R [June 4 ED] is overly constrained and does not represent current best practice<https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues/384> prior to pull request submission.

Inclusion of foreign namespace elements – is it only permitted on metadata elements, or anywhere? Do we need additional conformance language? See also IMSC issue foreign namespace usage is underspecified<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/213>

Iterate through the issues with no milestone – we need to classify those in some way.

Collate list of the issues we want to open with CSS WG

We need to put this together as part of the agenda for a request to meet at TPAC.

Current open issues: https://github.com/w3c/ttml1/issues and https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/issues
See spreadsheet of editorial actions at https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/blob/master/spec/ednotes.xlsx
Edit/build instructions now in README in ttml2/spec/ at https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/blob/master/spec/README.md


Agenda+ IMSC (now incorporates Unicode ticket)

The Wide Review period has now expired and we have received some incoming liaisons.

The status of the comments has been summarised at https://www.w3.org/wiki/IMSC1.0.1_Comments_tracker

What are our next steps? We will need dispositions for the review comments, to Create tests for CR exit criteria<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/226> and set a CR exit minimum timeline.

IMSC 1.0.1 WD for Wide Review published at https://www.w3.org/TR/ttml-imsc1.0.1/
IMSC 1 Rec available at https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/REC-ttml-imsc1-20160421/
Patent policy call for exclusions sent 2017-02-03, archived at https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2017Feb/0006.html

Editor's draft is directly viewable at http://w3c.github.io/imsc/imsc1/spec/ttml-ww-profiles.html
IMSC Implementation Page: https://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText/IMSC1_implementation_page.
IMSC Tests repository: https://github.com/w3c/imsc-tests

Unicode CLDR discussion
Unicode ticket is at http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/8915
Pierre's response to the recent update is at http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/8915#comment:9
Email response from Shervin at Unicode https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2016Dec/0018.html

Merged IMSC pull requests:
Fix differences of XML and images for fillLineGap + show line area boundaries<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/pull/234>
Clarified expected system behavior for ittp:activeArea<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/pull/231>
Open IMSC pull requests:
Discourage the use of tab characters in <p> and <span> <https://github.com/w3c/imsc/pull/242>
Clarify requirement that regions are contained within root container<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/pull/240>
Required spaces between non-terminal components of styling and parameter attributes (issue #221)<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/pull/230>
New or discussed IMSC issues:
Requirement to support certain Code Point<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/241>
Recommended character sets considered harmful<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/243>
Add diff from IMSC 1.0.0 and update substantive-changes-summary.txt<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/244>
Why exclude hebrew and arabic proportional reference fonts?<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/237>
Closed IMSC issues:
Change itts:fillLineGap to ittp:fillLineGap.<https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/238>
XML Example and corresponding renderings in pictures for itts:fillLineGap don't fit <https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/233>
Merged IMSC Tests pull requests: None
Open IMSC Tests pull requests: None
New or discussed IMSC Tests issues: None
Closed IMSC Tests issues: None


Agenda+ HDR in PNG

Repo for PQ HDR in PNG: https://github.com/w3c/png-hdr-pq
Draft WG Note: https://w3c.github.io/png-hdr-pq/

Merged pull requests: none
Open pull requests: None
New or discussed issues: None
Closed issues: None

Note that discussion of this document has continued on the Color on the Web CG reflector, with the focus drifting towards HLG.

Agenda+ HTMLCue proposal progress update.

ID      State   Title   Person  Due Date        Associated with
ACTION-441<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/441>[(edit)]<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/441/edit>     open    Kick off the analysis work on the vttcue carrying html idea.<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/441>      Andreas Tai     2015-11-05


See https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2016Apr/0012.html for further information on this, this week.

Also HTML import and HTMLCue?<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2016Sep/0003.html> email from 2016-09-06.

[placeholder agenda item]

Agenda+ WebVTT review feedback

ID      State   Title   Person  Due Date        Associated with
ACTION-396<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/396>[(edit)]<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/396/edit>     open    Produce evidence of request for wide review for webvtt, for the archive<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/396>   David Singer    2015-04-17      WebVTT 1.0<https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/products/8>

Discussion on WebVTT review feedback and next steps.

WebVTT Wide review wiki page: https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebVTT_Wide_Review

Open Pull requests:
Add requirements for region identifier to exist.<https://github.com/w3c/webvtt/pull/201>
Ruby issue264<https://github.com/w3c/webvtt/pull/347>
Merged Pull requests: None
New issues: None
Closed issues: None
Recently discussed issues: None

Agenda+ AOB

References

Wiki http://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText
Received on Wednesday, 7 June 2017 11:22:54 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 5 October 2017 18:24:40 UTC