Re: liaison for a Unicode ticket

Hi Shervin,

Thanks for the feedback and the illustrative example.

> in actuality what is needed is a more granular usage of "xml:lang" attribute according to W3C i18n
> best practices[1] to distinguish non-Turkish content present in a Turkish context:

Yes. This does not however address two other issues:

- how would an author creating subtitles/captions targeting the
Turkish locale (and/or an implementer wishing to support the Turkish
locale) know that Dutch characters can be present?

- some characters, such as the musical note ("♩"), are used for
subtitles/captions across many locales.

For this reason, ticket #8915 [1] suggests:

- adding an entirely new class ('subtitleCharacters') of sets to CLDR
-- instead of overloading the main and auxiliary sets, which, as you
point out, cover only those exemplars that are used in the language of
the locale (and are selected using xml:lang)

- defining a 'base' subtitle/captions exemplar set available across all locales

[1] http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/8915

Perhaps these issues have been discussed before. Looking forward to
your thoughts.

> For now I will proceed with actions for adding the clear-cut cases (which I mentioned in a previous email)
> to the relevant exemplar sets.

Thanks. Seems very useful regardless :)

Best,

-- Pierre