Re: Processor Profile, Content Profile and codecs

Since years the discussion about the right signaling of TTML derived
standards inside and outside of TTML documents is popping up every now
and then. Some of the exchanged arguments are repeated, some of them are
new because the context of the discussion changes. Like may be others I
am hesitant to step into the discussion again because there is always
the danger that we have a circular discussion with no end point.

The TTML profile registry is/was a perspective to meet on common ground
although it left some ambiguities. Now there are two important new
circumstances why it is worthwhile to re-think the scenario and fix an
agreed strategy that can easily be explained to "non" TTML'ers who
want/need to process TTML documents:

1) The registry was made for TTML2 but it has become clear that a
mechanism is needed before TTML2 becomes a recommendation. We certainly
need a mechanism that can be applied to TTML 1 documents.

2) We have a detailed review of the approach from the implementation
side by Cyril (which also includes a standardisation perspective with
respect to MPEG).

The questions Cyril raised are super important (thanks so much for
taking the time for looking into the topic). They are so important
because the review comes from an "external" perspective which is
pointing to statements that are difficult to understand for implementers.

To further support the current adoption of TTML and it "derivates" it is
necessary to clarify the best approach to signal conformance/processor
requirements. Therefore I propose to set this topic on the agenda for
the next f2f meeting at TPAC on 29./30.10. 2015.

Two arguments from Cyril need from my view special attention:

a) The reasoning behind separation of content and processor profiles is
not clear and is not made in similar (non TTML) encoder/decoder scenarios.

b) The interdependency of profiles with features as their lower level
constituents may be to "expensive" to be implemented.

In the thread EBU-TT is mentioned several times and the questions have
been raised why EBU-TT Part 1 (EBU Tech 3350) and EBU-TT-D (EBU Tech
3380) do not use the profile attribute and the profile mechanisms.

The TTML profile mechanisms have been investigated and discussed quite
intensively in the EBU group prior to the first publication in 2012 and
after that. In the end the profile mechanism has not been adopted.
Similar arguments to a) and b) have been raised. Both EBU-TT Part 1 and
EBU-TT-D do not make a distinction between processor and content
profile. They define constraints for authors to use only a subset of the
TTML vocabulary. But through that they define also of course the
requirements to process this "subset" according to the specs. Encoder
and decoder have the same reference.

The profile registry may be a good ground to bring the different
strategies together and make it usable for different encoder/decoder
exchange scenarios. It may be as little to add that some of the “TTML
derivates” define processor requirements through constraints of the
TTML  "content" structure.

Best regards,

Andreas

Am 08.10.2015 um 10:53 schrieb Nigel Megitt:

> From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com <mailto:glenn@skynav.com>> Date:
> Wednesday, 7 October 2015 16:48
>

>     On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 2:54 AM, Cyril Concolato
>     <cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr
>     <mailto:cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr>> wrote:
>
>         Le 06/10/2015 15:19, Nigel Megitt a écrit :
>
>             On 06/10/2015 12:39, "Cyril Concolato"
>             <cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr
>             <mailto:cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr>> wrote:
>
>                 Hi all,
>
>                 Consider the following scenario:
>                 - someone has authored a TTML document
>                 - someone else needs to generate the "codecs"
>                 attribute for this
>                 document (either because the document is served by an
>                 HTTP server which
>                 wants to compare the associated processor profile with
>                 what the HTTP
>                 client accepts, or because it needs to add a codecs
>                 attribute to a DASH
>                 MPD, or because the document is packaged in an MP4 and
>                 the MP4 is to be
>                 fed to a MediaSource Buffer or described in a DASH MPD).
>
>                 The question is simple: how to find out which
>                 processor profile a given
>                 document conforms to?
>
>             That's easy. The answer is always none - a document
>             conforms to a content
>             profile and a processor conforms to a processor profile.
>             You might want to
>             ask how to find out which processor profile is required to
>             process a
>             document that may optionally state a content profile though.
>
>         Having two dimensions of profiles really doesn't help. Audio
>         streams, video streams don't have that distinction.
>         As a player implementation, your really want to be able to
>         tell rapidly: "Can I play this file?". As a packager (like
>         MP4Box) or as a server, you want to be able to provide that
>         information to a player. This may need some processing of the
>         file, but that processing should be limited (finding an
>         attribute value on the root element is ok).
>

>     The only utility in declaring a content profile is for
>     validation/verficiation purposes. It allows the author to declare
>     which content constraints were used when constructing the document.
>
>     For the purpose of a decoding content, the processor profile is
>     more relevant. This is why the current profile MIME parameter, and
>     presumably, a new codecs parameter should focus only on processor
>     profile.
>

>             Are there restrictions in derived specs to always either
>             use the [ttp:profile or ttp:processorProfiles] attributes?
>             No there aren't such restrictions.
>
>         That is really annoying because it makes the job of
>         server/packager difficult, which means that they will probably
>         put a catch-all profile (if any), which won't be useful.
>
>                 I understand that the notion of profile in TTML1 is
>                 equivalent to the
>                 notion of 'processor profile' in TTML1;.
>
>             s/'processor profile' in TTML1/'processor profile' in TTML2
>
>         Yes, sorry for the typo.

> [...]

Andreas Tai
Production Systems Television IRT - Institut fuer Rundfunktechnik GmbH
R&D Institute of ARD, ZDF, DRadio, ORF and SRG/SSR
Floriansmuehlstrasse 60, D-80939 Munich, Germany

Phone: +49 89 32399-389 | Fax: +49 89 32399-200
http: www.irt.de | Email: tai@irt.de

registration court&  managing director:
Munich Commercial, RegNo. B 5191
Dr. Klaus Illgner-Fehns