Re: IMSC1 and profile designator

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 2:08 AM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> In ยง 6.1 it is stated that the #profile feature MAY be used. I take this
> to mean that it is permitted to specify a ttp:profile attribute on the
> tt:tt element but not required. There's no suggestion of including the
> ttp:profile attribute within a document in a different location to what is
> defined in TTML1SE.

Unfortunately, the way that IMSC is specified, i.e., in terms of whether a
feature may be used or not, doesn't translate very well to guidance about
actual authoring. In this case, the #profile feature covers quite a bit of
functionality beyond @ttp:profile, and doesn't by itself address the
presence or absence of this attribute.

I do see the following notes under 7.1 and 8.1:

"As specified in 6.10 Features
<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ttml/raw-file/tip/ttml-ww-profiles/ttml-ww-profiles.html#common-features>,
the presence of the ttp:profile attribute is not required by this profile.
The profile designator specified above is intended to be generally used to
signal conformance of a Document Instance
<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ttml/raw-file/tip/ttml-ww-profiles/ttml-ww-profiles.html#dfn-document-instance>
the profile. The details of such signaling depends on the application, and
can, for instance, use metadata structures out-of-band of the Document
Instance
<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ttml/raw-file/tip/ttml-ww-profiles/ttml-ww-profiles.html#dfn-document-instance>
."

For TTV support of IMSC1, we plan to emit a warning by default if no
@ttp:profile is specified. I would like to see IMSC1 updated to specify
that this profile SHOULD be specified. Whether it is specified or not is
independent of whether a processor supports the #profile feature as defined.