RE: [WebVTT] It's not easy being green

The paper title gives it away I think :)

I’ve conferred with several TV manufacturers knowledgeable about caption and text overlay hardware and all were of the opinion that CEA “green” should be 100% brightness.  Further, there was an opinion that there was no difference intended between “green” and the other primaries.  The latter point is also supported by the required minimum color table in CEA 708-E page 91, even although the optional extended color table on page 92 (not typically supported) muddles the issue by defining “green” to be ½ brightness.

So, I would conclude it should indeed be 00FF00, and thus should be “lime” and not “green”. With this one change, I don’t think there is really a need to create more mapping tables to the RGB values – these tables already appear in SVG and CSS3, and are already replicated in TTML1 and TTML2.

Thanks to Silvia and Dave for pointers to the brief discussion in the CG since I do not participate in that.  Apparently the version of the WebVTT spec I reviewed the other day was not the latest? Apologies.

I agree that this has no impact on TTML1, TTML2, IMSC1, SDP-US (given the answer of FF), and in WebVTT (resolved earlier to the same conclusion).  In general it only impacts specifications mapping “green” into another color space.  I’ll post a summary of this consensus in SMPTE and get ST2052-10 corrected – FYI.

Regards,

                Mike