Re: In-file style sheets for VTT, discussion

(Top posting as this doesn’t relate directly to any single comment in the
thread)

If you consider the live production use case and assume* that the
streaming model is to continually append to the VTT file then styling new
cues by cue ids related to styles in a single style block in the header
doesn't work in the general case. Accepted that in VTT there's no
uniqueness constraint on cue ids, but if the author decides mid stream to
create a cue with a brand new style then it seems to me that the options
are:

1) replace the style block;
2) add to the style block;
3) apply styling inline.

The situation for region based positioning is analogous, by the way.

This is orthogonal to user agent based styling overrides.

* If the starting assumption doesn't hold and the streaming model is to
send new whole VTT documents then having a single style block in the
header is fine of course.

Nigel