Re: [webvtt] Rename "line position" to "line offset". (#194)

On 10/06/2015 01:12, "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 7:19 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Jun 9, 2015, at 13:09 , Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>> [not sure why this thread suddenly included the TTWG - it was merely
>>> on the github bug before for WebVTT]
>>
>> I was hoping to raise its visibility, in that I knew that my idea
>>(below, critiqued) was weak, but maybe someone else had a better idea…
>
>If somebody has a better idea for a term that an offset from the top
>for describing the positioning of a box of lines from the top of the
>video viewport, that would be helpful. I still believe "offset" works
>better than "position" for this case.

I thought part of the problem we are trying to solve is that the offset
direction is dependent on the writing direction, so the offset might be
from the left for vertical writing or the top for horizontal writing.
That's why I proposed the terms inline and block. If that's not the case
then why don't we just use "position-horizontal" and "position-vertical"
respectively?

>>> I don't think those concepts are what we're actually dealing with.
>>> Leading is the whitespace between lines
>>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading),
>>
>> well, or the whitespace before a paragraph, which is closer this
>>meaning.  It has at least the advantage of being in the block
>>progression dimension.
>
>I've not seen "leading" used for whitespace offset in block
>progression. "Line leading" reads a bit harder than "line offset",
>too.
>

>>> not the distance from the top
>>> of the page (which is what our "line" setting provides). Indent may
>>> have worked, but we're already using "position”.
>>
>> yup.  major name changes might be confusing…
>
>We should stick with "line" and "position" as the names, but we're
>after better words for describing what they mean.

I'd be happy to change the names - I think they're where the confusion
begins for newcomers. Accepted it would also create confusion for those
who are used to the current terminology.

Nigel

>Thanks,
>Silvia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk