Re: TTML test player and Netflix questions

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Edit B <bouke@editb.nl> wrote:

> Hi guys (and gals?),
> Trying to make Netflix complient TTML files (by the way, is the extension
> ..ttml of .xml?),

.ttml; see [1]

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/REC-ttml1-20130924/#media-types-registration

> and have found the W3C validation tool at skynav.
> Now, nice to know if my files are valid, but i have no idea how they will
> look at Netflix.
> (From Netflix specs i see there is no requirement to define font /fontsize
> / outline / color)
> More important, i'd like to test text postition and alignment. And that's
> a bit hard for me to guess.
> (Still trying to understand box region / size in combo with before/after
> and the difference between start and left / end and right)

if you could ask specific questions, i could answer them

> So my question, is there any software player out there (preferrably
> Windows) that can read the TTML files and display titles the way they are
> intended?

i understand that IE10 and IE11 can display a subset of TTML; i understand
there is some development work underway on a java based TTML presentation
engine, but hasn't yet been posted in public (but will be sometime in the
next few months)

> As for Netflix, they clearly specify that they use a proportional font,
> but on the other hand a line can only have 42 chars, no matter the content.
> Isn't that a bit strange?

not really, since number of characters (glyphs) relates to readability