Re: proposed updated response to MPEG on codecs

Am 23.10.2014 um 16:11 schrieb Glenn Adams:

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 6:29 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com
> <mailto:singer@apple.com>> wrote:
>

>     I think that this is a weakened way to think of these profile
>     tags.  I think a profile should be documented, with its
>     restrictions and permissions, and they can be (in principle) as
>     strange and arbitrary as they like.
>
>     As long as there is a one-one match between an identifier and its
>     definition (the short identifier Fred identifies the Fred profile
>     as documented in http://www.example.com/frozentests/ttml-fred),
>     then we’re fine.  If Fred wants to say “the color red shall only
>     be used when the TTML content is served from a server hosted in a
>     country in which the communist party polls more than 12.5% in the
>     most recent national election” then so be it.

-> Glenn Adams:
> And, if Fred wants to register this profile, he needs to create a TTML
> Profile Document and assign a TTML profile designator so it that can
> be published in his informal "Fred's Profile Specification" and cited
> in the short name registry. His profile document need to be nothing
> more than:
>
> <ttp:profile designator="http://fred.org/ttml/profiles/#myprofile"
> xmlns:ttp="http://www.w3.org/ttml/profile/"/>
>
> Anyone who argues that doing this is an onerous requirement in order
> to register an entry in the short profile registry is employing hyperbole.
It is not this task that makes it difficult but the context that has to
be provided. A profile is a collection of features and extension. An how
you structure this features have some semantic meaning. I think that the
use of this mechanism is not consistent through the (current) TTML
profiles. If you say that you can have a profile document that says
"here is my label and what is required to conform is written in the
corresponding specs" that this may work. But I assume that you have to
list features and extension (?).

Andreas Tai
Production Systems Television IRT - Institut fuer Rundfunktechnik GmbH
R&D Institute of ARD, ZDF, DRadio, ORF and SRG/SSR
Floriansmuehlstrasse 60, D-80939 Munich, Germany

Phone: +49 89 32399-389 | Fax: +49 89 32399-200
http: www.irt.de | Email: tai@irt.de

registration court&  managing director:
Munich Commercial, RegNo. B 5191
Dr. Klaus Illgner-Fehns