Re: proposed updated response to MPEG on codecs

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:29:08 +0200
Cc: Andreas Tai <tai@irt.de>, public-tt <public-tt@w3.org>
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>

On Oct 22, 2014, at 18:05 , Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

> I suppose here you are referring to, e.g., specifying #color in a profile definition document, but further restricting content to a subset of the value space of #color, thus ending up with an effective difference in what is required from a processor and what is permitted in a document.

I think that this is a weakened way to think of these profile tags.  I think a profile should be documented, with its restrictions and permissions, and they can be (in principle) as strange and arbitrary as they like.

As long as there is a one-one match between an identifier and its definition (the short identifier Fred identifies the Fred profile as documented in http://www.example.com/frozentests/ttml-fred), then we’re fine.  If Fred wants to say “the color red shall only be used when the TTML content is served from a server hosted in a country in which the communist party polls more than 12.5% in the most recent national election” then so be it.

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.