Re: proposed updated response to MPEG on codecs

Am 18.10.2014 um 16:37 schrieb Glenn Adams:

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 4:56 AM, Andreas Tai <tai@irt.de
> <mailto:tai@irt.de>> wrote:
>
>     Understood. One question: A specification that builds on TTML and
>     but has not a normative list of TTML features and extensions is
>     not a TTML profile, correct?
>

> Correct, it would not be a "TTML profile" in the formal sense of how
> TTML uses the term profile. However, in a general sense it might be
> considered an "informal profile of TTML". In any case, it would
> certainly confuse users and authors, and to some extent, would subvert
> the intended use of TTML.

Thanks, Glenn! I think it is important that the proposed mechanism can
be used by a wide range of subtitle format specifications that are based
on TTML and have a potential use case to be transmitted in MP4. The
mechanism should not be exclusive to specifications that make explicit
use of TTML profiles. A solution for the discussed scenario should make
this very clear.

Best regards,

Andreas

> [...]
>>
>>             Hi Andreas,
>>
>>             Le 17/10/2014 14:33, Andreas Tai a écrit :
>>
>>                 As I understand the main intent of this communication
>>                 is to define the responsibilities of the MPEG and
>>                 TTWG for the signalling of "TTML document dialects"
>>                 in an MP4 container. There seems an agreement to use
>>                 the MPEG codecs parameter where MPEG has the task to
>>                 define a prefix and TTWG to define suffix.
>>
>>                 How the W3C/TTWG defines that suffix is not of core
>>                 interest for the MPEG group (as long the general
>>                 syntax for codecs parameter is followed). I highlight
>>                 this because my following comment may not stop this
>>                 letter because the "Suffix" definition is not decided
>>                 yet and in the responsibility of the TTWG.
>>
>>                 Regarding the proposed solution in the liaison letter
>>                 (and in this thread) more discussion seems to be
>>                 needed. From my current review it may not be
>>                 applicable for all "TTML dialects". Some "dialects",
>>                 like EBU-TT-D, do not rely on the defined semantics
>>                 of TTML profiles. Therefore I do not think that it is
>>                 a good idea to make "TTML profiles" as a central
>>                 concept for the codecs registry for "TTML dialects".
>>
>>             The idea would be that EBU-TT-D would be registered and
>>             have a short name to be used as a dialect in the
>>             processorProfiles parameter.
>>
>>         In general this would meet an important requirement from
>>         decoder implementers.
>>
>>             EBU-TT-D may not "rely on the defined semantics of TTML
>>             profiles" but it can be viewed as a "dialect" of TTML. Is
>>             that clearer?
>>

>>         I think that the general pattern is a adequate solution. The
>>         problem I see is with the definition what is meant by a
>>         processor profile. A processor profile has defined semantics.
>>         It reference the TTML profile mechanism. This mechanism is a
>>         formally well-thought-out concept. But it is not used
>>         consistently or not used by some TTML dialects. As well it
>>         has not been fully understood by some implementers. Therefore
>>         it would be good to have the (additional) possibility to just
>>         reference the specification of the "TTML dialect" without
>>         using the profile semantics.
>>
>>             Maybe the terms profiles or processorProfiles are
>>             misleading, I don't know.
>>
>>         In the current registry proposal (and in the TTML2) draft
>>         "processor profile" has defined semantics. I think it was
>>         chosen on purpose (although I do not agree that this is the
>>         best solution).
>>
>>         | Maybe we should talk about dialects to cover not just
>>         profiles of TTML but extensions too.
>>
>>         I think the use of an alternative term would be a good idea
>>         because "profile" has a link to the semantic concept of TTML
>>         profiles and often this linkage is not intended.
>>
>>         Best regards,
>>
>>         Andreas
>>

>>             Cyril
>>

>>                 Best regards,
>>
>>                 Andreas
>>
>>                 Am 17.10.2014 um 00:16 schrieb Michael Dolan:
>>
>>                     Take 2 on the communication to MPEG - attached.

Phone: +49 89 32399-389 | Fax: +49 89 32399-200