Re: proposed updated response to MPEG on codecs

Hi Andreas,

Le 17/10/2014 14:33, Andreas Tai a écrit :
> As I understand the main intent of this communication is to define the
> responsibilities of the MPEG and TTWG  for the signalling of "TTML
> document dialects" in an MP4 container. There seems an agreement to
> use the MPEG codecs parameter where MPEG has the task to define a
> prefix and TTWG to define suffix.
>
> How the W3C/TTWG defines that suffix is not of core interest for the
> MPEG group (as long the general syntax for codecs parameter is
> followed). I highlight this because my following comment may not stop
> this letter because the "Suffix" definition is not decided yet and in
> the responsibility of the TTWG.
>
> Regarding the proposed solution in the liaison letter (and in this
> thread) more discussion seems to be needed. From my current review it
> may not be applicable for all "TTML dialects". Some "dialects", like
> EBU-TT-D, do not rely on the defined semantics of TTML profiles.
> Therefore I do not think that it is a good idea to make "TTML
> profiles" as a central concept for the codecs registry for "TTML
> dialects".
The idea would be that EBU-TT-D would be registered and have a short
name to be used as a dialect in the processorProfiles parameter.
EBU-TT-D may not "rely on the defined semantics of TTML profiles" but it
can be viewed as a "dialect" of TTML. Is that clearer? Maybe the terms
profiles or processorProfiles are misleading, I don't know. Maybe we
should talk about dialects to cover not just profiles of TTML but
extensions too.

Cyril

--
Cyril Concolato