Re: [ttml2] embedded content, background image styling, other edits

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 7:41 AM, John Birch <John.Birch@screensystems.tv>
wrote:

>  That note may also need to be referred to from the font-face section too?
>
> It would seem that (except for ASCII / LATIN 1) as mentioned, the use of
> the Unicode ‘range’ element becomes almost mandatory when a resource is
> referenced internally?

Not really. The only use of family, style, weight, and range attributes on
without actually having to access/load the font. Further, the range
element, if specified would only indicate the character range supported by
a subsetted font (if it were indeed subsetted).

In the absence of a range attribute (not element) the font selection
algorithm *may* need to load the font resource and use the internal CMAP
tables (or equivalent) to determine the effective range(s) of coverage. But
if that font were later in the prioritized list of font candidates (for
selection processing) then it may not even be accessed (or loaded) if a
font earlier in that list satisfies the selection criteria.

So, the answer about whether range is useful or not: it depends.