RE: {minutes} TTWG Meeting 8/5/2014

It is a consistent misconception that frame rates in subtitle files (e.g. IMSC) must be equivalent to the frame rate of the related video object.

“... There's no constraint on related objects unless

   ttp:frameRate is specified

   ... If you want the document to be independent of video frame

   rate don't use times with frames.

   nigel: This is an editorial issue on §4.4 3rd paragraph: I

   think what is meant is that if time expressions with frames are

   used then the frame rate in the related video object must be

   the same as that set.

   pal: In fact if frames are to be used then ttp:frameRate must

   be set in IMSC so they are equivalent, but I can add a note to

   make this clearer.
“

This is NOT true for the majority of media assets.
Exceptions are media assets that have discontinuities (due to edits) in the timecode track or are being played at a slower of faster rate than intended (which is NOT a framerate issue).

Providing that a framerate (and where applicable any dropframe flag) is provided in the subtitle file, and providing that the equivalent ‘start of media’ timecode is known (or a common value is assumed e.g. 10:00:00:00), any time values used in a subtitle file can be converted into an elapsed time through the media. Note: the start of media timecode again does not have to be a value from the media asset. It is actually the starting value in the framerate scheme used inside the subtitle file… i.e. it shows what timecode value is equal to the zero’th frame. Similarly, in a media file, providing the framerate convention (and where applicable any dropframe flag) of the media is known, the correct video image at any arbitrary play point can be established.

Or to turn that on its head, during play back, a media player (or more accurately a ‘script’ running the player) can convert the media ‘timecode’ values (or elapsed time) into a timecode value represented in any other framerate - for the purposes of subtitle synchronisation.

Simply put, it is perfectly possible to implement, for example, a player that can play a subtitle file authored with a framerate of 25 fps against a media asset that is playing at 10 fps. The elapsed play time in both the subtitle track and the media is identical and proceeds at 1s / 1s, regardless of the labelling scheme and granularity of the framerate scheme. Of course, what may suffer is accuracy in the presentation of the subtitles (from intended) if the media framerate is lower than the subtitle file framerate.

What is true is that it is easier to synchronise a subtitle file with a media asset if they have the same framerate.

Best regards,
John

John Birch | Strategic Partnerships Manager | Screen
Main Line : +44 1473 831700 | Ext : 2208 | Direct Dial : +44 1473 834532
Mobile : +44 7919 558380 | Fax : +44 1473 830078
John.Birch@screensystems.tv<mailto:John.Birch@screensystems.tv> | www.screensystems.tv<http://www.screensystems.tv> | https://twitter.com/screensystems

Visit us at
Broadcast Asia, Marina Bay Sands, Singapore 17-20 June, Stand 5E4-01

P Before printing, think about the environment