Re: Liaison response - template on MIME type parameter for TimedText

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 12:23 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2014, at 16:40 , Michael Dolan <mdolan@newtbt.com> wrote:
>
> > Nigel, Dave and all-
> >
> > Is there a TTWG Proposal?
> >
> > Would “stpp” be registered somewhere where it would be unambiguous from
> other Codecs strings unrelated to TTML?  I don’t mean the sample entry 4C
> code, but in the Codecs string namespace.  Wouldn’t it have to be
> “application/mp4+stpp….”?  Or why not use “application/ttml+xml” (and
> similar for WebVTT)?
>
> The codecs string starts with the 4CC of the sample entry.  After that,
> whoever defined that 4CC gets to say what’s the next element.  And they get
> to say what’s after that, and so on.
>
> stpp says “some sort of XML”,

since VTT isn't XML, then would it use something different from stpp?

> and is owned by MPEG.  So indeed the step that goes from ‘stpp’ to ‘some
> sort of TTML’ is owned by MPEG, and MPEG still needs to resolve this.
>
> The thrust is that IF MPEG solves that, THEN there will be names to
> identify TTML dialects, that could go next.  So you would see
>
> codecs=stpp.<some MPEG magic to say it is TTML
> happens>.TTMLFULL+IMSC+SDPUS+EBUTT

I would expect something more simple, e.g.

stpp.vtt
stpp.ttml.tt1f
stpp.ttml.tt1p
stpp.ttml.tt1t
stpp.ttml.sdpu
stpp.ttml.st10
stpp.ttml.st13

where we have a registry for mapping the third IDs above to TTML profile
designators, e.g.

tt1f -> http://www.w3.org/ns/ttml/dfxp-full
tt1p -> http://www.w3.org/ns/ttml/dfxp-presentation
tt1t -> http://www.w3.org/ns/ttml/dfxp-transformation
tt1u -> http://www.w3.org/ns/ttml/sdp-us
s10f -> http://www.smpte-ra.org/schemas/2052-1/2010/profiles/smpte-tt-full
s13f -> http://www.smpte-ra.org/schemas/2052-1/2013/profiles/smpte-tt-full

we definitely do not want to create a new syntax/language for use in codecs
that describes some way to combine profiles; that function is already
defined by the ttml profile definition document syntax