Re: Liaison response - template on MIME type parameter for TimedText

The proposal for TTWG is to host a register of short labels against TTML profiles and variants, without in doing so endorsing those variants. Glenn took ACTION-284 to create this registry page according to the resolution agreed, minuted in [1].

[1] http://www.w3.org/2014/04/24-tt-minutes.html

In my view namespace location is an orthogonal issue to specification conformance. Namespaces are signalled within the document, and they are poor identifiers of specification conformance, especially when they are mutable, which for example TTML's namespace is.

What's needed here is a mechanism to allow a processor to choose appropriate behaviour before parsing the document. This behaviour could include choosing not to attempt to parse, selecting an appropriate parser and renderer, or even directing a parser and renderer to adopt specification-related semantics (initial values could be an example). (plus other options I guess)

It may be wise for organisations requesting registration of short labels for a specification to consider specification versioning.

Kind regards,

Nigel