Re: ISSUE-310 (progressivelyDecodable needs hierarchical definition): Forward reference rule doesn't take into account child elements [TTML IMSC 1.0]

Hi Nigel,

>  I think the 4th point is intended
> to address that though, i.e. it works for both explicit and implicit
> references.

The 4th point is intended to address explicit references only.

> >  or an implicit reference e.g. a tree traversal required to
> compute the value of an attribute by inspection of descendants

Can you provide an example?

>I prefer this: it clears up the “mapping” question.

Ok. Great.

Best,

-- Pierre

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> than the first element in the document. So I think it should say something
> like:
>
> "4. no element E1 references another element E2 where the opening tag of
> E2 occurs after the opening tag of E1, either by an explicit reference
> using xml:id or an implicit reference e.g. a tree traversal required to
> compute the value of an attribute by inspection of descendants."
>

>>What about:
>
>>"given two Intermediate Synchronic Documents A and B with presentation
>>times TA and TB, respectively, TA is not greater than TB if A includes a
>>p element that occurs earlier in the document than any p element that B
>>includes;"
>
> I prefer this: it clears up the “mapping” question.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Nigel
>

> On 13/08/2014 12:56, "Pierre-Anthony Lemieux" <pal@sandflow.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi Nigel,
>>
>>My input.
>>
>>>that the test for earlier and
>>> later is not precisely enough defined.
>>> Do you mean to compare the byte locations of the opening tag of the
>>>elements in the flattened document structure, for example?
>>
>>Sure. I am not convinced we need to be this specific. AFAIK the only
>>means in TTML for a first element to 'reference' a second element is
>>using xml:id, and a <p> cannot contain another <p>.
>>
>>Please propose specific text if you are not happy with the current text.
>>
>>> It is also unclear in the new wording (list item 2) how an ISD ³maps²
>>>to a
>>> content element.
>>
>>What about:
>>
>>"""
>>given two Intermediate Synchronic Documents A and B with presentation
>>times TA and TB, respectively, TA is not greater than TB if A includes
>>a p element that occurs earlier in the document than any p element
>>that B includes;
>>"""
>>
>>>Did the 3rd ISD above 'map' to p2?
>>
>>No.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>-- Pierre
>>

>>On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
>>wrote:
>>> Hi Pierre,
>>>
>>> I¹ve added a note to ISSUE-330, quoted here for convenience:
>>>
>>> The updated text uses phrases such as Œearlier/later in the document¹ -
>>> this does not address my original concern, that the test for earlier and
>>> later is not precisely enough defined. Do you mean to compare the byte
>>> locations of the opening tag of the elements in the flattened document
>>> structure, for example?
>>>
>>> It is also unclear in the new wording (list item 2) how an ISD ³maps²
>>>to a
>>> content element. An ISD is typically constructed from multiple elements
>>> simultaneously. There seems to be an assumption that an ISD can only
>>> relate to a single p, which is such a significant constraint that I

>>> 2. 00:01:30 containing p1 and p2
>>> 3. 00:01.45 containing p1