Re: ISSUE-310 (progressivelyDecodable needs hierarchical definition): Forward reference rule doesn't take into account child elements [TTML IMSC 1.0]

Hi Pierre,

>>Do you mean to compare the byte locations of the opening tag of the
>>elements in the flattened document structure, for example?

>Sure. I am not convinced we need to be this specific.

We do. In a non-ordered hierarchical structure including temporal concepts
there’s a lot of scope for misunderstanding if we use terms like “earlier"
and “later”. Since you mean something very specific here it would be
helpful to be as precise as possible.

>AFAIK the only means in TTML for a first element to 'reference' a second
>element is using xml:id, and a <p> cannot contain another <p>.

This is correct for explicit references but there are also implicit
structural references, for example the way that begin and end times,
styles etc may be computed by traversing the tree and analysing the
attributes of ascendants or descendants. I think the 4th point is intended
to address that though, i.e. it works for both explicit and implicit
references. For example a <p> whose timing is derived from its parent

I’ve just noticed on re-reading that the wording on point 4 doesn’t say
what it looks like it means:

"4. no first element references a second element that occurs after the
first element in the document."

reads to me that no element is permitted to reference any other element
than the first element in the document. So I think it should say something
like:

"4. no element E1 references another element E2 where the opening tag of
E2 occurs after the opening tag of E1, either by an explicit reference
using xml:id or an implicit reference e.g. a tree traversal required to
compute the value of an attribute by inspection of descendants."

>What about:

>"given two Intermediate Synchronic Documents A and B with presentation
>times TA and TB, respectively, TA is not greater than TB if A includes a
>p element that occurs earlier in the document than any p element that B
>includes;"

I prefer this: it clears up the “mapping” question.

Thanks,

Nigel