ISSUE-304 (Non-Standard Unqualified Attributes): Non-standard unqualified attributes not permitted [TTML 1.0]

From: Timed Text Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:22:20 +0000
To: public-tt@w3.org
ISSUE-304 (Non-Standard Unqualified Attributes): Non-standard unqualified attributes not permitted [TTML 1.0]

http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/304

Raised by: Glenn Adams
On product: TTML 1.0

In the definitions of element syntax, we include the following:

{any attribute not in default or any TT namespace}

which we specified to permit use of non-standard attributes in other namespaces, e.g., an extension namespace;

however, some readers (not familiar with XML usage in general) may construe this language to permit the use of non-standard  unqualified attributes.

To resolve, I propose an errata that adds the following to Section 2.3 (Document Conventions):

"In an XML representation, the expression '{any attribute not in default or any TT namespace}' applies only to namespace qualified attributes; unqualified attributes are not permitted unless explicitly defined in this specification."