From: Glenn Adams [mailto:glenn@skynav.com]
Sent: 09 September 2013 14:48
To: Nigel Megitt
Cc: John Birch; Michael Dolan; Timed Text Working Group
Subject: Re: Action-201 and Issue-225

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 4:28 AM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk<mailto:nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>> wrote:
To add to/summarise both Mike's and John's well articulated points, with which I agree, and try to take this back to Issue-225:

  *   TTML spatial coordinates may not have a 1:1 mapping with actual display pixels
  *   There are potentially other mechanisms needed to arrange for TTML content to appear in the desired position relative to video/picture areas that are not the same shape as tt:tt.tt:extent some of which have been defined as extensions within related specifications.
  *   The question of which is the minimum or maximum of horizontal width and vertical width, which is the root of Issue-225, remains unresolved, i.e. should it be a numerical calculation not taking into account aspect ratio (of pixels or otherwise) or should it be based on greater knowledge of the screen size and shape that the presentation renderer might have, perhaps including pixel aspect ratio?

I don't want to pre-empt what Sean might say but I'd have thought it would be appropriate to raise separate issues for the first two of these points, and relate them to Issue-225, so that we can ensure all are resolved, if such issues have not already been raised.

Note that CSS3 has altered the definition of 'px' from what was defined in CSS2 (as used by XSL-FO and TTML1).

In CSS2, it always meant a reference pixel based on the size of 1/90th of an inch at a viewing distance of 28in, i.e., a viewing angle of 0.0227deg.

In CSS3 this reference pixel has been changed to 1/96th of an inch at 28in distance, or a viewing angle of 0.0213deg.

In addition, CSS3 defines the 'px' unit to mean the same as 1/96th of an inch, and then allows such absolute units {cm,mm,in,pt,pc,px} to be interpreted according to one of two strategies: (1) as physical measurements (presumably at the screen surface rather than the viewing distance) or (2) as the nearest whole number of device pixels that approximates the (new) reference pixel.

It is further recommended that high dpi devices use the first strategy, and that low dpi devices or devices with "unusual viewing distances" use the second strategy. See [1] for further info.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-values/#absolute-lengths

Neither of these strategies equate 'px' with device pixel.

Nigel