Internationalisation issue in IMSC - xml:lang usage

Hi Nigel,

Below is a paragraph or two with my key points and proposed resolution about xml:lang and IMSC. Please alter, submit etc. as you see fit.

I have deep concerns about the constraints in IMSC on the use of xml:lang which I feel are completely contrary to the accepted use (and recommended best practise) of this attribute from the xml standard. The IMSC document states in section 4.4 Language that “All instances of the xml:lang attribute within a subtitle document SHALL have identical values.”

In the W3C document “Best Practices for XML Internationalization” [http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/#AuthoringTime] published by the W3C Working Group on 13 February 2008 (over 5 years ago and without subsequent amendment or correction), section 3 “When Authoring XML Content” states that

“Authors of XML content should consider the following best practices:”.

Best Practise: Specifying the language of content             Use xml:lang (or its equivalent in your schema) on the root element of the document, and on each element where the language of the content changes. (my emphasis)

Clearly the best practise is to use xml:lang to correctly identify the language of any element within a document when it differs from the surrounding elements.

This best practise advice is further reinforced by another document from the W3C: xml:lang in XML document schemas [http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-when-xmllang] in the section “When to use xml:lang”.

Content directly associated with the XML document (either contained within the document directly or considered part of the document when it is processed or rendered) should use the xml:lang attribute to indicate the language of that content. xml:lang should be reserved for content authors to directly label any natural language content they may have.

xml:lang is defined by XML 1.0 as a common attribute that can be used to indicate the language of any element's contents. This includes any human readable text, as well as other content (such as embedded objects like images or sound files) contained by the element in which it appears. The xml:lang value applies to any sub-elements contained by the element. It also applies to attribute values associated with the element and sub-elements (though using natural language in attributes is not best practice). The value of the xml:lang attribute is a language tag defined by BCP 47.

I believe the IMSC document should be corrected to accurately reflect the established guidelines.

Best regards,
John

John Birch | Strategic Partnerships Manager | Screen
Main Line : +44 1473 831700 | Ext : 270 | Direct Dial : +44 1473 834532
Mobile : +44 7919 558380 | Fax : +44 1473 830078
John.Birch@screensystems.tv<mailto:John.Birch@screensystems.tv> | www.screensystems.tv<http://www.screensystems.tv> | https://twitter.com/screensystems

Visit us at
CCW, 13 – 14th November, Stand 1343, Javits Convention Center, New York

P Before printing, think about the environment