TTWG Charter - Fundamental Principles

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 23:36:38 -0600
To: public-tt <public-tt@w3.org>
Assuming that the work on VTT is to be brought into the TTWG, I would like
to see added to the charter the following fundamental principle:

"That TTML and VTT are equally legitimate distribution formats for timed
text content, where by distribution is meant end-to-end transmission from a
content service provider or content server to a client device for direct
presentation by a User Agent (browser), and that User Agents that intend to
operate in the Open Web should provide support for the direct presentation
of both formats."

Absent a statement of this principle, I have doubts about the ability of
the TTWG to effectively work on both TTML and VTT.