Re: TTML Agenda for 15/05/13 - Proposed updates to charter

OK, a bit more clarification:

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux
<pal@sandflow.com> wrote:
> Ah. I was not attempting to be exhaustive. Second attempt below.
>
> TTML document ---JS?---> WebVTT document -----------> UA [TTML is
> converted to WebVTT (using JS?), which the browser renders]

That conversion would typically not be done in JS, but by any program.
Can even be offline. If you want to render TTML in the browser, you
would likely not take this path, but the one below.

> TTML document ----JS----> sequence of calls to TextTrack API  [JS is
> parsing TTML and constructing cues]

JS would also need to do the formatting (in CSS) and on-screen positioning.

> TTML document ---------> UA [UA renders TTML natively]
>
> I had assumed that the third was already in scope, as you pointed out earlier.

Sure can be, but I've thus far only had indications from MS to
implement it in IE. All other browser vendors I have spoken with have
been rejective of supporting a second format. As I said: that may
change and it's just a statement on current status.

Regards,
Silvia.