Re: TTML Agenda for 15/05/13

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Michael Dolan <mdolan@newtbt.com> wrote:

> Some advance thoughts:
>
> 1. Proposal 1 (extension to set) is OK with me.
>
> 2. Proposal 2 (origin and extent semantics for <p>) - although I am
> cautiously supportive of exploring this, I thought we previously agreed
> that
> it is still lacking defined behavior for how text would flow within the
> region, including wrap behavior, as well as the behavior of CR, LF and TAB
> when content is randomly placed like this.  I think flow examples would be
> needed just to better understand the ramifications, as this will be
> complex.
> An alternative might be to define a non-flow region? (Just an idea - the
> use
> cases that this addresses do not generally involve "rollup" captions).  A
> minor comment on the first bullet of the "Impact" - the fact that there are
> attributes that have no semantic meaning on some elements is a very general
> issue and therefore the fact that the XML schema (properly) represents the
> permitted syntaxes on <p> is not really relevant or specific to the
> affected
> element and attributes. Suggest it be deleted.

Actually, I don't see any problem with the concept. It is just a shorthand
for defining an anonymous region. So it would be treated exactly as if a
region had been specified with the indicated origin/extent and an id that
is synthesized.

For example,

maps to

<region id="generated12345">
  <tts:style tts:extent="100px 100px"/>
  <tts:style tts:origin="50px 50px"/>
</region>

Formatting, CRLF, etc. would have the same presentation semantics as if
this latter had been used rather than the shorhand former.

If this is the essence of CP2, I don't have any problems approving it in
principle, with the actual words to be worked out in the spec.

> 3. Proposal 5 - Although we discussed this generally, I don't recall seeing
> these details before. I'm not opposed, but it seems like it would be
> premature to approve it tomorrow.

Clearly CP5 needs some careful study. Perhaps Sean can go over the
essentials of it tomorrow. We know we want to define this mapping, so it is
the details we'll have to (eventually) agree upon.