From: Glenn Adams [mailto:glenn@skynav.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:36 AM
To: Michael Dolan
Cc: Timed Text Working Group
Subject: Re: profile definition and resolution [was RE: ISSUE-261: signaling docoument profile conformance is separate from decoder presentation requirements [TTML.next]

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Michael Dolan <mdolan@newtbt.com> wrote:

Regarding the two highlighted bits of text from further below:

any URI that feasibly dereferences a TTML Profile Definition Document

and

it is not required that a conformant TTML Content processor be able to dereference such an externally specified profile definition.

then the URI has to be capable of being used to “feasibly dereference” a profile document, but the decoder has no obligation to do so.

And, as we both noted, TTML provides no application-independent mechanism to resolve the URI, so two independent decoder (applications) would not know about the other’s private resolution process.  Therefore, most URI forms are actually not resolvable by any application decoder other than the ones that already knows all about the profile in the first place. So, all of this is virtually meaningless from a practical point of view unless the URI is formed as a URL with a common scheme (e.g. http).

And, if one cannot have a reasonable chance of resolving access to the profile document, I don’t see any point to requiring that it exist. I can claim that I have created a profile of TTML, “published” a profile document, and then use the profile designator “urn:mike:foo” in my instance documents. I know how to resolve the URN (maybe it’s printed on paper on my desk, maybe not), but no one else has a clue how to resolve that URN. Good luck finding the profile document or conversely proving the profile document does not exist on my desk.

Just because you can do that doesn't mean its a good idea. Its up to you as a profile author. If you want to write a profile that is widely interoperable, you will use a URI based on a common access method. If you want to write a profile for your intranet and don't care about external interoperability, then you can be more flexible.

That you as a profile author can do this doesn't mean we need to overly constrain profile designators to use URLs based on http.

I certainly agree that TTML decoders should be able to parse and store well-formed XML. But to ensure we are still on the same page - if SDP-US decoders have no obligation to parse, process and make use of any values of tts:color other than #rrggbbaa, then that clearly violates the TTML feature designator, …ttml/feature#color, right?

Correct. But as defined, a conforming SDP-US processor must support #color as defined, which means supporting more than a conforming document can use.

So, we have two choices as I see it to "fix" this:

(1) define a new extension designation http://www.w3.org/ns/ttml/extension/#color-rrggbbaa and revise section 9 of SDP-US to require this extension, while removing the existing #color feature requirement (this would need to be done for each and every constrained feature currently required);

(2) modify the language in Section 3 of SDP-US as I previously suggested:

(1) implements support for the profile definition specified in Features in TTML 1.0 Used in This Profile where the use and presence of such features is to be understood to be further constrained by statements in this profile that apply to document conformance;

and further add the following Notes (or normative text):

Note: When processing the semantics of a TTML 1.0 document that claims to make use of or otherwise conform with this (SDP-US) profile, a conforming presentation processor should not reject or otherwise abort processing a document that merely refers (directly or indirectly) to a standard TTML feature designation whose definition includes semantics not permitted by a conforming SDP-US document.

Note: If a TTML 1.0 document that claims to make use of or otherwise conform with this (SDP-US) profile makes use of a standard TTML feature or some aspect of such a feature that is expressly prohibited by this profile, then a compliant presentation processor should ignore the construct that includes the prohibited feature or feature aspect.

The second approach above involves a lot less editing work, and doesn't require changing Section 9 or introducing new extension designations.

SDP-US would need to define an extension, or TTML.next would need to define a new feature designator that matches that constrained set of values. Either that or SDP-US decoders must support all values of tts:color.  It’s no different than a decoder only supporting #length-integer but claiming support for #length.

I wasn’t proposing that we add the term “decode” to our Recommendation.

Regards,

                Mike