Re: Padding on tt:p and tt:span elements

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Andreas Tai <tai@irt.de> wrote:

>  As a couple of TTML.next issues are discussed at the moment I want to
> bring up the padding issue again. This is filed as Issue 168.
>
> Currently it is hard to solve following requirement for background colour
> fill that is defined in the Youview TTML profile[1]:
>
> > Where text with tts:backgroundColor is applied at the span level, the
> filled area shall extend the width of a space character to the left of the
> first rendered character on each line and to the right of the last rendered
> character on each line.

One way to achieve this as a work around (in the near term) is to use NBSP,
EM SPACE, EN SPACE, THIN SPACE and so on, using tts:wrapOption as needed to
prevent line breaks.

> If in TTML.next padding could be applied to a span: to what a percentage
> value would relate to?  In XSL 1.1 and CSS 2.1 it relates to the width of
> the containing block [2]. So assumed this will be the same definition in
> TTML, a span would be the child of a p element and a padding value would be
> specified in percentage for that span than it would be the width of that p
> element?

Actually, the XSL-FO definition is based on the nearest ancestor reference
area, which is the block-container generated by tt:region. So a percentage
would be resolved according to the contain region size. When we do map to
CSS we will need to translate to non-percentage values in order to avoid
the distinct CSS definition.

> This would be very similar to the current definition. In TTML the
> percentage value for padding is defined as relative to the width and height
> of the region. As the extent of a p is the same as the extent of the region
> where it is contained the width of the containing block is effectively the
> with of the region.
>
> As the width of the region could vary this seems not a good solution for
> the requirement defined by the Youview spec.
>
> The only possible solution to establish a relation between the chosen font
> and the padding value seems to be the cell metric. To emulate the width of
> a space the padding value of the start edge for the first span in a line
> and the padding value for the end edge of the last span in line could be
> set to 1c (assumed that the font-size is 1c). Is there any more intuitive
> solution?

Use NBSP. Any any case, 1c doesn't mean 1 EM unless fontSize is defined as
1c.